cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All,

I would like to update when you have quad sup running in the VSS chasis then the In-Chasis standby will be in RPR mode which is expected result hence dont get confuse and troubleshoot when you dont see the module in Hot Standby state.

Please find details below:-

Quad-Supervisor (In-chassis Standby Supervisor Engine) Support

Beginning with IOS XE release 3.8.0E, Cisco Catalyst 4500-E switches configured with Supervisor Engines 7-E, 7-LE, or 8E support Quad-Supervisor VSS Mode.

With Quad-Supervisor VSS mode, each chassis in the VSS supports a redundant supervisor engine, called the in-chassis standby (ICS). The ICS supervisor engines use Route Processor Redundancy (RPR) mode, and remain in RPR Standby Cold redundancy state. If the Active supervisor fails, the ICS supervisor boots fully, and becomes the Active supervisor within the chassis, while the local chassis remains nonoperational till SSO redundancy is established with the VSS Active supervisor.

Example of the output after the VSS builds up would show as mentioned below:-

switch-1#show module

Switch Number: 1 Role: Virtual Switch Active

5     8  Sup 8-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP)   WS-X45-SUP8-E      CATxxxxxx

6     8  Sup 8-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP)   WS-X45-SUP8-E      CATxxxxxx

Switch Number: 1 Role: Virtual Switch Active

Mod  Redundancy role     Operating mode      Redundancy status

----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------

5   Active Supervisor   SSO                 Active

6   In-Chassis Standby  RPR                 Standby cold  >>>>>>>>>RPR

Switch Number: 2 Role: Virtual Switch Standby

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.

---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------

5     8  Sup 8-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP)  WS-X45-SUP8-E      CATxxxxxx

6     8  Sup 8-E 10GE (SFP+), 1000BaseX (SFP)  WS-X45-SUP8-E      CATxxxxxx

Mod  Redundancy role     Operating mode      Redundancy status

----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------

5   Standby Supervisor  SSO                 Standby hot

6   In-Chassis Standby  RPR                 Standby cold >> RPR

Ref:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/XE3-8-0E/...

Also Please find the document below which would explain the procedure how to build the quad sup VSS from scratch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4500-series-...

Hope this helps.

Regards

Inayath

**Please rate the post if helpfull**

Comments
Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi InayathUlla

thanks for this post I was looking for something related to the new VSS quads , we have deployed the VSS with quad sups in our US based offices but removed the 2nd sup due to the fact that the second sup will remain in rommon if the active fails  , does this mean that it will automatically make itself active now once were on the new versions above ?

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mark,

Sorry for the late response as I am not currently active on the CSC.

I wish you a happy new year 2017!.

Coming to your question yes if you upgrade to this version yes please upgrade to the .3.8x version.

When VSS is configured with IOS version less than 3.8.0, it supports a second supervisor engine. However, support occurs only in rommon mode, by disabling auto-boot with the confreg command.

I would suggest you to upgrade your Standby sup and the new 2 sups which are in rommon to be upgraded to the 03.08.01E release .

Refer to the below link for the steps to migrate to Quad SUP

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/white-paper-c11-736462.html

HTH

REgards

Inayath

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Happy New Year InayathUlla really appreciate the response thanks , we had a lot of issues with these quads when we first bought them and in the end just pulled the 2nd sup out of each chassis , were now planning on trying it again with the new software version as might as well make use of them :)

Thanks again Mark

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Wish you happy new year too Mark...

I wish you good luck with adding the 2nd sup in the chasis. Please feel free to let me know in case any help needed from my end and I would be glad to help you on the same.

Regards

Inayath

lateefwalana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are in exact same situation as Mark. The link you provided above is taking to main 4500 page rather than step by step guide. Are you able to share the link again.

Thanks a lot

Muhammad

Hello,

Thanks a lot InayathUlla for your explanation, I hope that I got it, you mean that if active supervisor at active VSS unit ( switch 1) fails 

the vss failover will be occurred and switch 2 will be active until RPR  failover process will be finished at switch 1 

Best Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: