Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Lisa Latour
Level 6
Level 6

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation.

This Ask the Expert Session will cover questions spanning Cisco Prime Infrastructure on Implementation and Deployment on Wired and Wireless. This will be more specific to Customers' and Partners' questions product covering PI on configuration, Features and Menu, Network Monitoring, Maps, Implementation, High Availability and Maintenance and t/s parts.

Monday, February 2nd, 2015 to Friday, February 13th, 2015

Dhiresh Yadav is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS)  handling supporting Wireless and Network Management based Cisco products and is based in Bangalore. His areas of expertise include Cisco Prime Infrastructure and Cisco Wireless products. He has over 7 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and service provider networks. He also holds CCNP (RS) and CCIE (DC) certifications.

Afroz Ahmad is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS)  handling supporting Wireless and Network Management based Cisco products and is based in Bangalore. His areas of expertise include Cisco NMS products like Prime Infrastructure, LMS, IP SLA and SNMP etc. He has over 7 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and service provider networks. He also holds CCNP (RS),CCIE (DC), and SCJP (Sun Certified Java Professional )

Vinod Kumar Arya is a customer support engineer in High-Touch Technical Services (HTTS)  handling supporting Wireless and Network Management based Cisco products and is based in Bangalore. His areas of expertise include Cisco NMS products like Prime Infrastructure, LMS, IP SLA and SNMP etc. He has over 8 years of industry experience working with large enterprise and service provider networks. He also holds VCP 5 and RHCE certifications.

15 Comments
isoffice1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

We are running a Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance (Version 2.1) to mange/monitor/configure our wired network infrastructure. We have been able to successfully add all of the network infrastructure devices to Prime and have had relative success in image deployment, reporting etc.

However, my query is in relation to the Configuration Archives. Currently Prime is indicating that 90% of our devices are 'Out of Sync'. I know that this means that there are discrepancies between the startup and running configs. I have compared the startup and running configs on some of the affected devices and the only differences I can see were in relation to the snmp-server contact XXXX entry and the self-signed certificate entry.

Can anyone tell me how I can go about troubleshooting this or how to bring the device configurations back into sync.

Many thanks,

John P

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John P,

Thanks for joining us for this event.

Kindly issue the " write mem" on one of the out of sync  device manually and  then manually kick off a config archive job and check the status of the issue.

If it went fine then

create a template in PI  for " copy run start" and  push that template to all of his devices before scheduling  the config archive job.

hope it will help

Thanks-
Afroz
***Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Sanket A
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

We are running a Cisco Prime Infrastructure Appliance (Version 2.1) to mange/monitor/configure our wired and wireless network infrastructure. So far, the PI looks good in terms of managing and alerting features, but I would like you to comment on its Log capacity. We understand that, the PI cant store logs more than 30 days. Considering any other network monitoring and reporting tool/device this time frame seems to be too low. What can be done to store the logs for longer time? Do you suggest to have a third party/external syslog server? Or we are missing something in our configuration?

lidan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts

I am using a quite old tool - Ciscowork IPM 2.5 with CWRW-1.3 in my teaching lab installed in 2004. IPM is good tool for network lab working with Cisco 3700 routers.  Now I am trying to find latest IPM version to upgrade the lab. I find that latest IPM is version 4.2 with Ciscoworks LAN management Solution 3.2 only. But this production is also  end-of-sale and end-of -support  see the page
   - End-of-Sale Date:    08-APR-2011 Details
   - End-of-Support Date:    30-APR-2014 Details

Now I have no idea how to upgrade IPM? Which tool from Cisco or a third party can be replacement of IPM?

Dan

Michelle Bammel
Level 1
Level 1

How do you generate a report in Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.2 that shows the User Defined Fields?

cesar.felix
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Prime Infraestructure 2.2

Configuration->Features and Templates->Cli Templates

Can i make one cli template with variables type db, and get this data ( such as interface ip address ) from the prime database?

Apiwat Onlamai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Prime Infra 2.2 show " Unsupported Cisco Device". When i added WLC5525.

Cloud you teach me how to fix it?

Thank you

Yasir Imran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts

I am here to ask for cisco prime infrastructure v2.0.

I am able to ping between the network switches to cisco prime infrastructure but still i am not able to discover the devices, It's showing ping unreachable.I have tried auto discovery/ advance discovery with every option and also tried through manual discovery but unable to reachable to those devices.

I am attaching snapshots for your review.

How i can come out of this issue.

Y819257825
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mr. AFROJ AHMAD,

I have a question in cisco prime infrastructure HA. Just that I set the HA between Primary and secondary prime server , and I know there is no need to set the snmp trap ip  to the secondary prime in our network devices. But how they work while the primary prime failed (just mean when my primary prime failed,then my secondary prime change to "Active",  and when I change the config of my network devices, how the secondary update the configuration file from the devices??)

Waiting your reply...Thanks so  much.

Echo.

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Echo,

That's a very good question.

Yes , it is true if you have your devices configure to send SNMP TRAP to only Primary PI then during the time when secondary is working as primary the SNMP TRAP will be lost :(

Starting 2.2 , you have the option to configure the "virtual Ip address" for HA and that solves the above issue.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-2/administrator/guide/PIAdminBook/plug_play_ha.html#pgfId-1388127

One limitation is that those Ip address should be a part of same subnet.

I hope that answer your query !!

Thanks-

Afroz

Y819257825
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mr. AFROJ AHMAD,

Ahahaha....I just know such result...:)

The SNMP trap will be lost when the secondary "Active" and just use current all configuration files and server setups until the primary prime "Active"...

About the virtual IP, cause our primary and secondary prime in different subnet that can not deploy such model....

Thanks so much for your reply.:) :) :)

Best regards

Echo

Y819257825
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mr. AFROJ AHMAD,

I check the document of Cisco prime infrastructure 3.1 administrator guide, that said as below picture . I wonder that if we want to set snmp trap direct to the secondary prime, how I can set it is the standby snmp trap to send notification to PI server (just wonder when the HA in normal status-->  primary "Active"  /   secondary "Syncing" ,if the standby snmp trap not work unless the secondary change to "Active".)

Waiting for your reply.... Thanks so much.

Echo

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Echo,

It is talking about the normal scenario . where you have PI server with different subnet or different location then " you need to configure all the devices with SNMP trap command for both the servers"

Thanks-

Afroz

Hi experts,

I wonder that if Cisco prime has the capability to merge multiple interfaces report in one report?  in other words, BW utilization report of multiple 10G links in a one single graph  ?  and how I can get this report?

Tanks

gjackson
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies if this is an inappropriate thread to post this request... searches for "Prime Infrastructure Expert " only lead here.   We recently had a catastrophic failure of our Cisco Prime host and we need an expert on quick contract opportunity (remote is fine) to perform a complete turn-key installation of Prime followed by configuration and population of our network inventory, about 2000 devices.  If you are such an expert or know of someone that can serve that role, please reply with contact details.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: