cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 2 Routers have a same external IP address?

Šimon  Randiak
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a one problem. Me and my friend have the same ISP. I checked my External IP address at WhatIsMyIp.com and my friend do it to. And we saw we have the same External IP.

So my question is can 2 routers have the same External IP address?

If i'm right 2 routers can't have the same External IP address.

And if I buy a access to External IP my friend will have it too?.

Thanks for Answers.

Btw sorry if my grammar is horrible.

Have a Great day.

Simon.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OrtoNNortH
Level 1
Level 1

This is certainly possible if your ISP is using CNAT. 

The most common CNAT IP range starts with 100.X.X.X (you can find it on the WAN port of the router).

CNAT is an attempt to preserve constantly shrinking number of the public IPv4 addresses. 

The idea is similar to standard NAT (Network Address Translation) with an exception that it does not only use ports to route the traffic to your computer but it also uses your "public" (not really public) CNAT address instead of private IP as it is in case of a traditional NAT.
The benefit of this solution (in addition to saving real public IPv4 addresses) is that it's much cheaper for the customer and provider. 

For example your ISP is having a RIPE range of 100 public IPs and behind each of them runs a CNAT subnet of 100.0.0.0/8

That gives them over 16.7 million CNAT IPs per single public IP. 

In this case you and your friend that is using same ISP will see same IP address via What's My IP website (which is the IP of CNAT gateway router of your ISP) and different CNAT "public" IPs on the WAN port of your router. 

The drawback of such solution is that you cannot really publish any service to the public internet, although it may work for the clients that are sharing the same CNAT subnet and ISP with you. 

It's basically like a fake public network inside real public network. 

I hope it makes sense and helps. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

the answer is Maybe!

Some providers do a nat configuration for some clients. In this your case, maybe your service provide get to you a natted ip address and it the global ip address is shared with other clients.

If you request a dedicated ip address for your ISP, there is no possibility to other ISP, VENDOR or CLIENT have the same ip address. Because it is controlled by IANA/ARIN et al.

@Šimon Randiak wrote:

I've got a one problem. Me and my friend have the same ISP. I checked my External IP address at WhatIsMyIp.com and my friend do it to. And we saw we have the same External IP.

So my question is can 2 routers have the same External IP address?

If i'm right 2 routers can't have the same External IP address.

And if I buy a access to External IP my friend will have it too?.

Thanks for Answers.

Btw sorry if my grammar is horrible.

Have a Great day.

Simon.

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have same IP address it will show, since your ISP may using any Proxy for your Web Traffic,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

OrtoNNortH
Level 1
Level 1

This is certainly possible if your ISP is using CNAT. 

The most common CNAT IP range starts with 100.X.X.X (you can find it on the WAN port of the router).

CNAT is an attempt to preserve constantly shrinking number of the public IPv4 addresses. 

The idea is similar to standard NAT (Network Address Translation) with an exception that it does not only use ports to route the traffic to your computer but it also uses your "public" (not really public) CNAT address instead of private IP as it is in case of a traditional NAT.
The benefit of this solution (in addition to saving real public IPv4 addresses) is that it's much cheaper for the customer and provider. 

For example your ISP is having a RIPE range of 100 public IPs and behind each of them runs a CNAT subnet of 100.0.0.0/8

That gives them over 16.7 million CNAT IPs per single public IP. 

In this case you and your friend that is using same ISP will see same IP address via What's My IP website (which is the IP of CNAT gateway router of your ISP) and different CNAT "public" IPs on the WAN port of your router. 

The drawback of such solution is that you cannot really publish any service to the public internet, although it may work for the clients that are sharing the same CNAT subnet and ISP with you. 

It's basically like a fake public network inside real public network. 

I hope it makes sense and helps. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: