cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to migrate older n7k/n5k/n2k to newer N9K

craneman1
Level 1
Level 1

The problem:  We have 2 Data Centers about 40 miles apart each with there own connection to the internet.. and also 2 wires between the N7Ks at each site for data center to data center.  Each data center has 6 switches...  two 7ks, 2 5ks, 2, 2ks.Although the configs will look quite complex with VPCs etc.  The problem is we need to upgrade to the newer C9Ks, rather the smaller c9ks because we really dont use many ports on the n7k/n5k/n2k.    So we ended up going to the smaller c9k model...  one with 96 ports, and two with 48 ports (dont have the drawing right now)...   The real problem is how do you migrate off the older 7k with complex configurations to the newer model?.and keep everyone happy without breaking stuff....  Do you need to set the newer Domain up and trunk between the older domain 10 for example and the newer Domain 20? for traffic that might need to stay connected at one time?....  It seems impossible to do sort of a "live cutover" there is too much configuration and many things would break..so the idea is I think build the new Domain and try to move things over in a modular fashion that keeps connectivity in case it is needed to the other servers in older domain.  I have not seen any strategies or whitepapers on how to "get to the newer c9ks from the older equipment".  I don't think there is any type of migration tool that helps either but maybe?  Any ideas or has anyone done this yet?

3 Replies 3

Alex Stevenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @craneman1,

I'm not an Nexus expert but I found a couple of resources, which might help you out:

Hope this helps!

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi  @craneman1,

There are just too many variables to consider which is why you are not finding those kinds of resources or Apps.
Without a drawing and understanding a bit more about your environment its hard to suggest a strategy but the answers to a few questions would help.
1. Is the Data Center dark fiber (I'm assuming) providing a Layer 2 or a Layer 3 or both interlink between the two Data Centers?
2. Do you have enough rack space and environmental (power, cooling) to bring up the new kit in parallel?  

If you want a near outage-less migration that probably the safest way.

A. Bring up the new kit at each data center at Layer 2 only so your Vlans are available on the new gear for your end point migrations

B. Migrate everything over

At some point you are going to need to move the SVIs (Subnet Gateways) down to the new Layer 3 device.  This means everyone gets a new gateway Mac or you hardcode the old MAC on your new L3 device.  Usually, the devices can take that brief hit so you don't wind up with a hardcoded MAC in your configuration but much depends on your tolerance for even a brief outage.

At some point you will need to bring the "North bound" stuff down to your new L3 devices.  For that, and again much depends on your configuration, Id make sure once your data center 1 DIA is down your traffic will re-route over to your data center 2 DIA.  Or you can update your routing to send all outbound traffic to the other data center.  Once you re route the traffic, bring the DIA links down to your new device. Rinse and repeat at data center 2.

And you will need to swing the interlinks.

The order in which all of that needs to take place will be driven entirely by your current logical configuration but those are the things you will need to consider.  

dparmar101
Level 1
Level 1

Please excuse me for this late response, I`ve only just come across this.

I`m going through a very similar exercise due to the EOL of our nexus 7K`s & we also have a very similar setup, 2 datacentres connected via a DWDM.  My question to anyone, is how do I connect the old switch to the new, what kind of links are required ? This is so I can migrate servers across to the new 9K switches. 

Many thanks...........dinesh. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community