cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP PIM Port channel and vPC

bruce.thornton
Level 1
Level 1

I need to configure PIM multicast across 4 Nexus, I have the RP configured and I see that ip pim spare-mode is configurable on the L2 and SVI interfaces.  However I don't see that option on Port-channels and vPC interfaces. Is that option available?

2 Replies 2

Hi @bruce.thornton,

Yes, you can configure the ip pim sparse-mode command on L3 interfaces (physical interfaces, sub-interfaces and L3 Port-Channels) and SVIs (interface vlans).

That is actually a requirement when you have Hosts sending the Multicast traffic or Hosts expecting to receive such Multicast traffic. In other words, when you have such Hosts on VlanX, you must have 'ip pim sparse-mode' under the SVI (interface vlanX).

The command is not available on L2 port-channels (including vPC) since these are L2 interfaces and PIM is a Layer 3 feature, this is expected.

As an additional comment, you can have your Nexus establishing Routing with other network devices over an SVI (L3) + vPC Port-Channel (L2), which is OK and supported nowadays for the Unicast traffic.

What you should not have is a PIM neighbor adjacency with other network devices in such scenario. In other words, your Nexus should not have a PIM neighbor adjacency using an SVI (L3) + vPC Port-Channel (L2) with a 3rd network device.

In such case, the Data Plane vPC loop prevention mechanism drops some of the Multicast flows depending on their hashing over the vPC Port-Channel.

As a conclusion about this last point, to form a PIM neighbor adjacency on the Nexus family of Switches with a 3rd device, use only L3 interfaces and not SVI (L3) + vPC Port-Channel (L2) for connectivity.

Cheers.

peceq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hector, now i have topology:

source (multicast supplier) -> interface vlan with ip on my nexus3k -> portchannel to another nexus3k - receiver (DCM 9902) on eth1/7. Is it possible to use SSM in this scenario? The distance between my nexus is huge and i no free fiber to connect them via P2P. I have only the management address on them.

I thought that i connected nexus via interface vlan and it should work, but after reading your post i am not sure now. Is there any alternative method to achieve what i want? Thanks for your support.