Views
Helpful
Replies

LACP Load-balancing based on MPLS Labels on Nexus 9336c-FX2

Peyman Zadmehr
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

I was checking the configuration guide for LACP on Nexus 9336c-FX2. Based on the information provided in this link, LACP load-balancing Hash is supported on the following items:

• Destination MAC address

• Source MAC address

• Source and destination MAC address

• Destination IP address

• Source IP address

• Source and destination IP address

• Source TCP/UDP port number

• Destination TCP/UDP port number

• Source and destination TCP/UDP port number

• GRE inner IP headers with source, destination, and source-destination

source:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/93x/label-switching/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-label-switching-configuration-guide-93x/b-cisco-nexus-9000-series-nx-os-label-switching-configuration-guide-93x_chapter_0111.ht...

I have a lot of traffic which are encapsulated inside MPLS headers. I wonder, does Nexus 9336c-FX2 support LACP load-balancing based on MPLS Label or not?

What will happen if I pass a huge amount of MPLS-encapsulated traffic over LACP? will it be load-balanced or not.

The concern raised since I have a 3064PQ switch and it does not load-balanced the MPLS traffic over LACP links

Thank you 

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have not done any deployment in real-world example :

As per the docs, MPLS does support TE bundle Interface.

It's mentioned as Nexus 7K (please check is if that helps).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/mpls/configuration/guide/mpls_cg/mp_te_basic.html#88369

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

This is not my scenario. The Switch does not have any MPLS configurations. It just passes the traffic between several P and PE routers. The routers are connected to each other via the N9K switches. So this traffic is MPLS labeled. but from the switch point of view, it is traffic with MAC+LABEL(s)+IP or MAC+LABEL(s)+PPPOE traffic, basically non-IP traffic.

The case is SRC and DST MACs are constant for most of the traffic but LABEL(s)+ IP or MAC+LABEL(s)+PPPOE are different. So it is practical to create the hash based on LABEL(s)+IP or just LABEL.

In N3064 this does not happen but in older platforms and families like C6500, we had an option to configure this behavior. 

I want to know how the switch performs the balancing with these headers since the traffic is non-IP and based on the documentation the balancing will be done based on MAC address... Is there any way to have proper balancing based on the mentioned headers?

Thank you