Views
Helpful
Replies

Some Questions about Licensing on Nexus 9336-FX2

Peyman Zadmehr
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Everybody

I am searching about Licensing on Nexus 9336-FX2. 

I have a scenario which I do not need any fancy features on this switch. Features like (ACI,DCNM,Routing,...) I just want to use this switch as a Layer-2 Device with 100GE ports and Doing stuffs like LACP and QinQ and VLAN-Tagged traffic.

What I understood from information provided  in following link I don't need any license for these features If I want to use the switch as a pure layer-2 device(Actually it will be used in Core network not a DataCenter)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html

Is this assumption correct? 

Thank you for your help and guidance....

Peyman

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Peyman Zadmehr 

First of all, from perspective of functionality, Nexus 9000 (and Nexus 3000) switches family are using something which is called "honor-based licensing". This means that whatever feature you enable on the switch, it will work, regardless if you have or not the required license installed. If you do not have the license, you will get a message like this:  WARNING: 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' LICENSE NOT FOUND ON THE SYSTEM !!!!!!. You have tried to enable a licensed feature [ospf] without installing the 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' license, which has not been found on the system

Now coming back to your question, do you need a license if you want to use the switch only for L2 switching, q-in-q and LACP?

If the switch is for testing or not production traffic, then no.

If the switch is in production, then yes. You will need it because this also will give you support from TAC. You can simply go for essentials which includes all the basic features (routing and switching).

It is mandatory to have the license? well not quite... but be cautious of this caveat: if you encounter any issues, support might be limited.

Cheers,

Sergiu

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peyman Zadmehr
Spotlight
Spotlight

Dear All

Is there anyone who can help me in this regard?

Thank you

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Peyman Zadmehr 

First of all, from perspective of functionality, Nexus 9000 (and Nexus 3000) switches family are using something which is called "honor-based licensing". This means that whatever feature you enable on the switch, it will work, regardless if you have or not the required license installed. If you do not have the license, you will get a message like this:  WARNING: 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' LICENSE NOT FOUND ON THE SYSTEM !!!!!!. You have tried to enable a licensed feature [ospf] without installing the 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' license, which has not been found on the system

Now coming back to your question, do you need a license if you want to use the switch only for L2 switching, q-in-q and LACP?

If the switch is for testing or not production traffic, then no.

If the switch is in production, then yes. You will need it because this also will give you support from TAC. You can simply go for essentials which includes all the basic features (routing and switching).

It is mandatory to have the license? well not quite... but be cautious of this caveat: if you encounter any issues, support might be limited.

Cheers,

Sergiu

Dear Sergiu

Thank you for your answer..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community