Helpful
Replies

vPC in diff NXOS version

JoeNaRuTa
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I do not sure about vPC.

In next month i will upgrade OS for N7010 to NXOS version 7.3(5) but now they are running with NXOS version 6.2(6).

My question

1. If Box A runs version 6.2(6) and Box B runs 7.3(5) can they work together without problem?

2. Any suggestion if they are running in different OS?

Best Regards,

Joe 

4 Replies 4

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @JoeNaRuTa 

It is not supported to upgrade from 6.2.6 to 7.3.5, not even the cold upgrade (non-ISSU).

Have a look at the following documentation for supported upgrades, both ISSU and non-ISSU:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/7_x/nx-os/release/notes/7x_nx-os_release_note.html#pgfId-1110232

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Hi Sergiu

Thanks for your help.

In this case I will take Box B to 6.2(10) before go to 7.3(5)

But my concern is do they run VPC in different OS version as sometime.

BRs

Joe

During and only during the upgrade process, it is supported to run different NXOS versions on the vPC peers, as long as you are in the "supported upgrade path".

Cheers,

Sergiu

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. If Box A runs version 6.2(6) and Box B runs 7.3(5) can they work together without problem?

BB - this is not advised any time in production, technically if one fails other should able to support all the features of the device, so different code have some limitation, so suggest to have both same codes while we doing Active /Standby or Active /Active kind of setup like vPC.

2. Any suggestion if they are running in different OS?

BB -  there is no suggestions, until your intention to bring network or make it as Lab testing to support cisco.

Look at the release notes bring the lower version to the same as other kit and join them in vPC (make sure you take the backup configuration in case you looking to rollback)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community