cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost admin rights after upgrading NFVIS 3.9 to 3.10

Valkyrie3
Level 1
Level 1

I've upgraded a Cisco ENCS 5412 unit from NFVIS-3.9.1-FC1 to NFVIS-3.10.3-FC4 which appeared to work well but I've lost administrative access through the local account I was using.  The system shows the account is an administrator in both the web interface and the running config but if I try to make a change in the web interface I get access denied and I can't access any of the administrative functions in the CLI.

I have raised a case with Cisco and they've had a good look at the system but no suggestions yet.  I've had a read and found this topic which sounds like the same problem:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/nfvis-solutions/current-recommended-version-of-nfvis-running-on-encs-5400/td-p/4483265

@julian.bendix - are you still about, did you have to re-add the accounts using the admin account?

At the moment I don't have access to the admin account (an external company was responsible for managing this device hence why it's so out of date), I know there's a procedure for resetting this account so if this will definitely resolve the issue then I can organise getting that done.

There's a second unit as well still on the original 3.9 software so it would be useful to know if this is typical from the upgrade or there's anything else we can do.

Any suggestions on what can be checked on the 3.10 unit or anything else I can try would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hello @Valkyrie3 !
I ran into the exact same issue, I was upgrading NFVIS from a DNAC, upgrade to 3.10.x worked fine, but then I couldn't countinue.

The issue was that the role of the admin user was changed.. due to a Bug  
Recovering the admin user helped and everything went fine afterwards.

Need more help on this?

BR 
Jules

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hello @Valkyrie3 !
I ran into the exact same issue, I was upgrading NFVIS from a DNAC, upgrade to 3.10.x worked fine, but then I couldn't countinue.

The issue was that the role of the admin user was changed.. due to a Bug  
Recovering the admin user helped and everything went fine afterwards.

Need more help on this?

BR 
Jules

Hey Julian, thanks for taking the time to reply.  After seeing your post here I decided to try resetting the admin logon which worked and I was able to recreate the other users as you said in your post.

We have two of these units and I was upgrading the other one today which I started by resetting the admin password and again the local accounts lost access which was fine as I could use the admin account.  However I've hit a couple of new issues, after taking a backup file, it doesn't show in the restore file interface and when I go to the browse datastore, absolutely nothing shows plus as stupid as it sounds, I can't find a command for the CLI that will list files.  One of the VMs has also lost connectivity which I'm trying to track down, have you seen either of these issues with your upgrades?

Also, do you have any general advice for upgrading these ENCS units in terms of which upgrade sequence to take?  I'm obviously a lot of upgrades behind and very concerned by the fact that just doing the smallest possible upgrade is causing so many problems. 

I really appreciate any help as there's not much talk about these units and I did log a support case with Cisco a couple of weeks but not really had anything useful back from them 

Edit: The disconnected VM sorted itself out around four later and the file interface just seems really slow so after refreshing it many times it did eventually show the backup and I was able to download it.  I'm not sure if there's any trick to getting it working but at least I have it copied off the ENCS