Announcements
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Castrated ISR4321

Greetings,
I bought a pair of Cisco ISR4321 from Ebay for our small rural undertaken - and now to my despair I see that these are castrated to 50Mbit. They are artificially limited - and I need to purchase a "license" to get the technically possible throughput. Certainly I have not researched the issue enough before buying them, but that was completely unexpected.
Who would buy a 12-cylinder car where 8 cylinders are disabled unless you pay more than triple of that what the car has cost?
I was in the believe that the 4321 could be an upgrader for our old 1921 routers, but actually its two steps back with only 50Mbit throughput. The "license" fee is outrageous. I simply can't afford it.
TIA, // Luis
Do I really need to switch to another manufacturer? I certainly don't have $3600.- to play with.
Any ideas how to get these "licenses" at a less-than-obscene price tag? As the routers are now, they are useless. Any decent home router can do better than 50Mb.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Community Legend

I deliberately state the version the router needs to be downgraded to and I am not saying anything else other than that.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

What firmware is the router running on?

Highlighted

isr4300-universalk9.16.12.01a.SPA, that is.
Thanks!

Highlighted

@Luisinus wrote:

isr4300-universalk9.16.12.01a.SPA, that is.

You really need to upgrade the software.  Try something in 3.16.X.

Highlighted

My situation is that I don't have easy access to Cisco IOS. We have no Cisco contract and I have no idea where else to get an upgrade. In the past I have had issues with getting bug-fixes.
Then: This is a political limitation Cisco has implemented. A hurdle that only can be overcome paying $$ or procuring a license in another way. Or are you suggesting that Cisco has lifted the limitations in more recent versions?
Last, you say "Try something in 3.16.X". The latest version I can identify is 17.1.4 - so 3.16.x is referring to what?

TIA,
// Luis

Highlighted

I deliberately state the version the router needs to be downgraded to and I am not saying anything else other than that.  

View solution in original post