cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Jason Belk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Introduction and Motivation

I am in Cisco IT’s Network Team which supports our company’s Campus and Branch Cisco offices. We manage hundreds of sites and thousands of devices, including WAN connectivity, wireless, and ACL management for our partner and extranet sites. The scope of our responsibility is huge and humbling to think about how many depend on our team’s work.

Over the past year we have begun learning Cisco/Tail-F’s NSO product and how to apply it to an Enterprise context. Most of the examples which are shared are for Service Provider Customers, especially the iconic L2 VPN Service Example (for those who have read the documentation).

In order to scale out our development effort, we created a five-day training curriculum to help teach our (Cisco IT’s) traditional network operators, many of them with no coding background, how to use and develop services in NSO. Our goal and hope in sharing this content is for others to realize the benefit of NSO, as we are beginning to do so.

One of the strengths (and weaknesses) of NSO is its flexibility. It is incredibly powerful and extensible. The labs and examples we give in our training were ones we thought up based on simple Enterprise situations and we hope that not only the lecture content inspires others, but also the lab content creates an excitement of the art of the possible.

Structure of the Content                  

The structure of the content was based on our five-day training:

• Day 1: What is NSO? Using NSO GUI/CLI
  • Day 2: XML & Yang
  • Day 3: Basic Services
  • Day 4: Advanced Services
  • Day 5: Python with NSO

The amount of content is somewhat overwhelming, but taken at bite sized pieces, it is not too bad. Our training assumes no background in NSO, Yang or XML. The concepts are reinforced through the labs, and to really internalize how NSO works, working through the labs is required.

All of our labs assume using NSO 4.4 and cisco-ios NED of 5.2. You can complete most of the labs with just a netsim and NSO, but having a real live Cisco IOS device is helpful.

Here is a link to the training material: GitHub - NSO-developer/nso-5-day-training

This will be the first in a series of blog posts meant to unpack our training, and share it in blog form, rather than just a monolith MS Power Point file.

8 Comments
mazranneuf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Where can we find this material ?

thanks

Jason Belk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Maurice,

Stay tuned, I am working with the NSO Developer Github page to get my content on there for all to use. I will comment back here as soon as I get that up. Since a lot of the labs are written in MarkDown, it is ideal to read them through a .md reader, like GitHub :-).

Jason Belk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Venkatesh Bhat
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

how can we get hold of  Software required NSO 4.4 and cisco-ios NED of 5.2?

KJ Rossavik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It depends.

If you are a customer, then you may already have licenses for these products, and can download them from the download center.

If you are an NSO ATP partner, and you have signed the NFR agreement (MUBTA), then you can access the software on a restricted area here on the Developer Hub

And if you are a Cisco user, then we have an internal server where you can get the images for internal use.

Cheers,

KJ.

bobbwill
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kjetil,

Can you point us to the internal server for Cisco users?

Thanks,

Bobby

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bobby,

The right location to download from for Cisco employees and partners is here at the DevHub. Go to the front page (https://communities.cisco.com/community/developer/nso-developer-hub) and look at the bottom of the left column. It' called Software Download (Access Restricted).

moacosta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you know how can I do the hands on session for the training? I see you may access devices and build a network but not sure if I need to access a dcloud session or was a specific lab for this training. Where Can I access to use it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: