Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I've been asked to describe how the NSO transaction processing works countless times, i.e. what happens after the operator hits "commit" until an "ok" or "fail" is received, and the change has been processed by service code, NEDs and possibly commit queues.

For the first time, I've made an attempt to package this information in the form of a presentation rather than on a whiteboard. This is necessarily simplified a little, but I hope this is the level of detail that should be as useful as possible to a wider audience. In case you feel I skipped some aspect that you'd like more information on (HA, preLockCreate, ...), place a request related to this post and I'll think of a way to add a slide.

This presentation should be up to date with respect to the new cool features in NSO 4.4.

[edit: Click the post title to see the blog post in a format where the presentation link is visible]

5 Comments
camoberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for putting this up jlindbla, extremely useful. We should make it a poster for developers to put on the wall

Nickolay Belchugov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks a lot jlindbla!  Your work is always useful.

Question - based on your diagram, when are the methods related to the experimental classes Subscriber and TwoPhaseSubscriber called?

Regards,
Nickolay

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks!

Subscriber: during Notify on slide 15, look for "custom subscribers"

TwoPhaseSubscriber: first during Prepare on slide 12, look for "custom database", then once more, either during Notify, just like subscriber above, or (if the transaction failed) during Abort on slide 20, look for "custom database"

Bharath_M_R
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for sharing this Jan.

Great presentation.  

Do you have an updated version for NSO 5.x and 6.x?  If so, could you share?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: