Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
NSO 5.1 was released about a month ago. This release contains some quite remarkable technology advances that some NSO users have long awaited. Still, we didn't make a big splash about it. Aren't we proud and excited? Of course we are! This is the most powerful and versatile NSO ever, by a wide margin.

We have kept a low profile about this new major release, because we wanted not to overwhelm ourselves with everyone starting to try it out, asking relevant questions all at the same time. Despite our secrecy, one highly relevant question that folks have been starting to ask us is:

Should I upgrade to NSO 5.1 or stay with my NSO 4.x for now?

That depends. It depends on your current deployment and strategy going forward. NSO 5.x is all about more complex NED deployment scenarios, e.g. support multiple versions of NEDs in a single NSO installation. It supports the new schema mount RFC 8528.  If you are already in this neighborhood, NSO 5.x is going to give you a lot of strong tools. You should plan to migrate soon.

If you don't feel limited by the NED lifecycle management in NSO 4.x today, you should still plan for a migration, but you can take your time. If you don't leverage any of the new NED features in NSO 5.1, it is going to feel much like NSO 4.7. Another popular question is for new projects:

Should I start my new project on NSO 5.1 or go with trusted NSO 4.7?

This question is much easier. Here I would clearly recommend going straight to NSO 5.1. If you start out with NSO 4.7, you are handing yourself a quite unnecessary migration task.

For deeper info about the news in NSO 5.1, have a look at Omar Sultan's blog post from earlier this year:
https://blogs.cisco.com/sp/nso-5-getting-ready-for-what-comes-next Or for you techies, go download the real NSO 5.1 and read the migration guide in the docs/ directory: nso_cdm_migration_guide-5.1.0.1.pdf . Most NSO 4.x users will find not much needs to be done for the migration as long as you stay within the NSO 4.x functionality. For most part, it's not until you actually want to unleash the full NSO 5.x power that you have to adjust your existing NEDs and Service packages.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: