Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Password Vault for NSO

hkubota
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In NSO I can configure hard-coded accounts and password to connect to devices (authgroups).

If I do not want that (our security team does not like that) and instead I have to to keep device passwords in a system like HashiCorp Vault, how can this be integrated into NSO?

Typically I'd give NSO at startup time a one-time password which it would use to get a token out of Vault which it can use to get the passwords out of Vault. But I see no way to integrate this in NSO.

Am I missing something or is this simply not implemented and not (easily) implementable?

Is there maybe a hook to get a password out from an external system or Python/Java program instead of having it hard-coded in an authgroup configuration?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually, I was behind the curve, it is included in nso-4.7.2, from the CHANGES file:

ncs: Authentication groups are extended to support action callbacks to
retrieve southbound user and credentials for a local user, device and
the authgroup that device belongs to.

(ENG-17868)

It is the 'callback-node' and 'action-name' settings in the umap or default-map configuration.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

joepak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

vleijon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is not currently possible to do what you want, but it is a feature that will come in a future release. We have had this request from other customers as well.

I am not entirely sure which release it will be in or when that will be released. If someone from the product management team is watching, they might know.

Actually, I was behind the curve, it is included in nso-4.7.2, from the CHANGES file:

ncs: Authentication groups are extended to support action callbacks to
retrieve southbound user and credentials for a local user, device and
the authgroup that device belongs to.

(ENG-17868)

It is the 'callback-node' and 'action-name' settings in the umap or default-map configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: