cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how can I reload specific package in NSO

kiran kotari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

in NSO I when i do request packages reload it's loading all the packages. How can i load specific package in nso.

I have option on request packages package xyz redeploy but not reload. Is there any difference between them ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you only make code changes you can use packages package xx redeply and NSO will pick up new java or python changes.

For YANG and/or template changes, you have to reload all packages.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jan Lindblad
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As you know, packages often depend on one another. If a package has dependents, they too would have to be reloaded for things to work. Since most users don't know the dependency structure or sequence that packages would have to be individually reloaded, there is no command to do individual reloads.

Instead, the NSO packages reload command figures out what packages to reload in what sequence and reloads them, so that things get done the right way.

I agree to some extend, but when the project grows bigger the package reload takes good amount of time. (Assume I am having multiple feature and packages i.e. a-z)

Just wanted the reload specific packages (i.e. a,b,c) if we know dependencies. it saves lot of time for me rather than reloading all the packages i.e. a-z

In the advance lab. manual they say

Package reload can take a long time. Consider removing unused packages (from previous labs) in the ~/ncs-run/packages directory (ex. juniper-junos). (Page 89)

How can i remove unused packages in the real project. Is there any way can i manage the above scenario.

If you only make code changes you can use packages package xx redeply and NSO will pick up new java or python changes.

For YANG and/or template changes, you have to reload all packages.

Any plans of supporting this feature ?

1. For me YANG and templates are in same package why can't i reload individually

2. If they are in multiple packages why can't I reload those packages. like `packages package a b c reload. (where a, b, c are  3 different packages)

It's a mess to take care of below scenario when the advance lab. is taking time it's same in bigger project(s).

Advance Lab Manual (Page: 89)

In the advance lab. manual they say

Package reload can take a long time. Consider removing unused packages (from previous labs) in the ~/ncs-run/packages directory (ex. juniper-junos).

Hope you got what i meant by

Any updates on this ?

No plans to change the way it currently works.

alam.bilal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As Jan mentioned, some optimisations are already built-in:

> Instead, the NSO packages reload command figures out what packages to

> reload in what sequence and reloads them, so that things get done the right way

Regarding the Advance Lab Manual that was referred to, depends how the packages are being placed in NSO's packages-directory. If symlink are being used, just remove the symlinks for the unwanted packages.

Is there any alternative way of symlink for NSO packages-directory.

If my project is supporting multiple device types i.e cisco-ios, cisco-iosxr, cisco-nx, juniper-junos, e.t.c it need be having those symlink as per the document.

Tomorrow in my project i may support few more devices i.e. dell-ftos, a10-acos, e.t.c. By that time package reload is going to take longer time. You meant to say No alternatives for that.

alam.bilal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> By that time package reload is going to take longer time

Please note that the time taken doesn't depend on the number of packages per-se. Try doing packages reload, do it twice. The second run would be very fast, irrespective of the number of packages.

What it depends on is the number of packages that have been changed/updated (and subsequently any related dependencies arising from that), since the last time a "packages reload" was done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: