cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How NSO removes service-specific configurations from devices?

santanude2535
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am new in NSO, I have a generic question about NSO. I am using "nso-5.1.0.1". I create a service (writes some java code) that writes some configurations on two Cisco XR devices as per my requirement.

When I delete that service NSO removes service-specific configurations from both devices. But I don't write any single line of code to remove service-specific configurations from devices. I am curious how NSO determines the delta and removes service-specific configurations from both devices.

Can anyone give me some reference for that?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ramkraja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When I delete that service NSO removes service-specific configurations from both devices. But I don't write any single line of code to remove service-specific configurations from devices. I am curious how NSO determines the delta and removes service-specific configurations from both devices.

This is really the strength of NSO, and it's FASTMAP algorithm. It lets you specify only the 'create' logic for your service, and takes care of the 'modify' and 'delete' logic itself. See the NSO Development Guide for a description of FASTMAP, here:
"NSO Development Guide -> Developing NSO services -> FASTMAP description"

I would encourage you to read the whole chapter "Developing NSO services".

/Ram

View solution in original post

KJ Rossavik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Search for "Fastmap" in the developer guide. This is IMHO the best feature of NSO - this is the "secret sauce". This dramatically reduces the development time and maintenance cost of a service application/function pack relative to other orchestrators.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ramkraja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is really the strength of NSO, and it's FASTMAP algorithm. It lets you specify only the 'create' logic for your service, and takes care of the 'modify' and 'delete' logic itself. See the NSO Development Guide for a description of FASTMAP, here:
"NSO Development Guide -> Developing NSO services -> FASTMAP description"

I would encourage you to read the whole chapter "Developing NSO services".

/Ram

KJ Rossavik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Search for "Fastmap" in the developer guide. This is IMHO the best feature of NSO - this is the "secret sauce". This dramatically reduces the development time and maintenance cost of a service application/function pack relative to other orchestrators.