Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi vendor L3VPN service

Nikolai Nespor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm developing a multi vendor L3VPN service in NSO. There are different roles and options to attach a L3VPN site to the network:

• PE Vendor A
    • attachment type
      • Q-in-Q
      • Dot1q
    • role
      • active
      • backup
  • PE Vendor B
    • attachment type
      • BNG
      • Q-in-Q
    • role
      • active
      • backup
  • PE Vendor C
    • attachment type
      • PPP

I want to provided a single CFS, but I'm wondering whether I should use stacked services for the different vendors, attachment types and roles? Or should I stick to a single service and handle the different cases in code and with templates? The attachment type configurations do only have a few things in common.

Currently I'm trying the single service and template approach. I'm not sure if handling everthing in the templates makes sense, as the complexity with all thoes combinations is pretty high.

Thanks for any pointers,

Nikolai

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vleijon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nikolai,

We have been working on some best practices for service design these are some good principles for how to design services: https://developer.cisco.com/docs/nso/#!service-design  and they partially answer your question I think.

In general, stacked services are a great pattern. There is of course some limit when dividing the services up becomes more work than it is worth but it is often a good idea, especially to make it easier to mange multi-vendor scenarios.

--Viktor

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

vleijon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nikolai,

We have been working on some best practices for service design these are some good principles for how to design services: https://developer.cisco.com/docs/nso/#!service-design  and they partially answer your question I think.

In general, stacked services are a great pattern. There is of course some limit when dividing the services up becomes more work than it is worth but it is often a good idea, especially to make it easier to mange multi-vendor scenarios.

--Viktor

Hi Viktor,

thanks a lot for the pointer to the Best Practices, I hadn't seen them before! I'll take the advice and go with stacked services.

Regards, Nikolai

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: