cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NED Creation

crench92
Spotlight
Spotlight

According to the information on the NSO main page, in NSO 5, there will be the ability to create our own NEDs?  Is this something being released soon?  I see NSO 4.7 is still the only thing downloadable.  Or does this feature exist in NSO 4 just not as easily?  Thanks for any information on this.

3 Replies 3

vleijon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The ability to create your own NEDs already exists and has been there since the very first versions. Note that for most cases you don't want to do that yourself - Cisco provides plenty of NEDs and creates new ones as needed.

However, there is one common case where a custom NED is interesting - NETCONF devices. For these devices it isn't really a NED in the usual sense since NETCONF is built-in to NSO but you want to create a package of YANG files that are loaded into NSO.

What 5.x does is simplify this process, in particular it allows you to have multiple instances of the same namespace. A common case would be if your devices have the same model but in different, incompatible, versions - today this would be a problem but in 5.x you will be able to handle it much more smoothly.

Both the devices I'd need NEDs for would be based on SNMP since they are legacy and that is the only way to interface with them.  One of them does have a CLI however.

There is a way to automatically create SNMP-NEDs in NSO from MIBs. I have used it for operational data, and that worked well.