cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help: how to come up with the filters in get-config for sync-from

JennyW
Level 1
Level 1

We use generic NED with NSO 5.8. For sync-from, we'd like to apply filters to limit configuration data from device. My question is: do these filters have to be hard coded or can they be decided dynamically based on capabilities the device has? If latter, how to translate capabilities to these filters? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JennyW
Level 1
Level 1

Experiments seem to indicate the filters are from config node in Maapi schemas.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

JennyW
Level 1
Level 1

Experiments seem to indicate the filters are from config node in Maapi schemas.

tohagber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would say that you should be a bit careful applying filters on sync-from in your NED code as you might end up in situations where expect to be in sync but in reality NSO just have a filter viewed of the config. This can potentially cause out of sync problems (depending on your NED implementation). So unless you have a very good use-case for it then i would recommend to stay away from such things.

If the filter is built based on the info under config node in schema, then it should include all supported, right?

As i don't have full understanding of what you want to achieve my answer may lack some context. But to comment on your question, Yes, the complete ned model is all augmented under /devices/device/config so the NEDs schema domain is all confined under "config" thus it includes all config supported by the NED.

I did miss to mention this earlier and is probably not what you are looking for but just for completion i wanted to mention it. NSO also supports a "partial sync-from" see "partial sync-from" in https://developer.cisco.com/docs/nso/guides/#!the-nso-device-manager/synchronizing-devices. This operation is not considered to be holistic in the same sense as the "sync-from" action, where NSO expects to be in sync with the complete schema domain after it has been run. This would be a "dynamic" sync operation to fetch parts of the config. 

Thank you for the note, our generic NED does support partial sync-from and no filter is applied for that. Hope more Cisco employees will participate in discussions like this, thank you!