Views
Helpful
Replies

New NED not appearing in packages

oscj
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hej

I have a running NSO and added a new NED to the packages and packages/neds/ folder but the new NED does not appear amongst the packages. Is there something special I need to do to activate it?

Here is the new package in folder
oscj@oscar:~$ ls -l nso-6.0.2/packages/neds/ | grep nc-4.9
drwxr-xr-x 6 oscj oscj 4096 Feb 10 18:06 juniper-junos-nc-4.9

Here is the packages output from CLI and I only see the old Junos NED and not the new one

admin@ncs> show packages package oper-status up
NAME UP
--------------------------
a10-acos-cli-3.0 X
alu-sr-cli-3.4 X
cisco-asa-cli-6.6 X
cisco-ios-cli-3.0 X
cisco-ios-cli-3.8 X
cisco-ios-cli-6.90 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-3.0 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-3.5 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-7.44 X
cisco-iosxr-nc-7.8 X
cisco-nx-cli-3.0 X
dell-ftos-cli-3.0 X
juniper-junos-nc-3.0 X

12 Replies 12

rrajapan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Have you done "# packages reload"?

Yes, I have used that command multiple times both from CLI and from GUI

RichardD2
Level 1
Level 1

I am making the assumption that this is a local install. If that's the case, there needs to be a soft link to the package in the /opt/ncs/ncs-run/packages directory. 
Eg cisco-iosxr-cli-7.43 -> /opt/ncs/ncs-5.7.6.2/packages/cisco-iosxr-cli-7.43

@oscj wrote:

Hej

I have a running NSO and added a new NED to the packages and packages/neds/ folder but the new NED does not appear amongst the packages. Is there something special I need to do to activate it?

Here is the packages output from CLI and I only see the old Junos NED and not the new one

NAME UP
a10-acos-cli-3.0 X
alu-sr-cli-3.4 X
cisco-asa-cli-6.6 X
cisco-ios-cli-3.0 X
cisco-ios-cli-3.8 X
cisco-ios-cli-6.90 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-3.0 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-3.5 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-7.44 X
cisco-iosxr-nc-7.8 X
cisco-nx-cli-3.0 X
dell-ftos-cli-3.0 X
juniper-junos-nc-3.0 X

cisco-iosxr-cli-7.43 -> /opt/ncs/ncs-5.7.6.2/packages/cisco-iosxr-cli-7.43

@oscj wrote:

Hej

NAME UP
a10-acos-cli-3.0 X
alu-sr-cli-3.4 X
cisco-asa-cli-6.6 X
cisco-ios-cli-3.0 X
cisco-ios-cli-3.8 X
cisco-ios-cli-6.90 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-3.0 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-3.5 X
cisco-iosxr-cli-7.44 X
cisco-iosxr-nc-7.8 X
cisco-nx-cli-3.0 X
dell-ftos-cli-3.0 X
juniper-junos-nc-3.0 X

Hej
I do not have the /opt/ncs/ when I look for it. I have an /opt/ folder but it is empty. I do not have /opt/ in nso-6.0.2 folder either

ygorelik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your NED directory or softlink to that directory must appear under nso-6.0.2/packages directory. After that is done, under CLI simply run command 'packages reload force'.

It is both in Packages and Packages/neds/ but the result is the same

oscj@oscar:~$ ls nso-6.0.2/packages/ -l | grep juniper
drwxr-xr-x  5 oscj oscj 4096 Feb 14 12:59 juniper-junos-nc-3.0
drwxr-xr-x  6 oscj oscj 4096 Feb 14 12:59 juniper-junos-nc-4.9

oscj
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have added the package to nso-instance/packages/ . But the packages I copied does not look referenced to a place

oscj@oscar:~$ ls nso-instance/packages/ -l | grep juniper
lrwxrwxrwx 1 oscj oscj   56 Feb 13 10:18 juniper-junos-nc-3.0 -> /home/oscj/nso-6.0.2//packages/neds/juniper-junos-nc-3.0
drwxr-xr-x 6 oscj oscj 4096 Feb 16 07:41 juniper-junos-nc-4.9

Then tried to do a "packages reload force" but I get an error. So I guess that is not the way to go either?

admin@ncs# packages reload force            

>>> System upgrade is starting.
>>> Sessions in configure mode must exit to operational mode.
>>> No configuration changes can be performed until upgrade has completed.
>>> System upgrade has been cancelled.
Error: Data model upgrade failed due to an open transaction:
[1] admin ssh (cli from 10.250.7.14) on since 2023-02-14 13:15:45

RichardD2
Level 1
Level 1

Did you follow the steps in the installation guide About - NSO Guides 6.0 - Document - Cisco Developer ?

If not, I'd suggest reinstalling. When NSO starts, it looks for packages to load in directory specified in the ncs.conf file. When packages are found, they are copied into another directory also specified in ncs.conf. Whenever we have a new NED to load, it gets unpacked into the ../ncs-version/packages directory and then we place a sym link in the ../ncs-run/packages directory to ensure the loading process picks up the new files. 'Show ncs-state' command is helpful as it will show you if there's any components not starting correctly.

Yes I have followed the steps. But I have added the new Ned after the NSO instance was fired up.

I have stopped the nso instance and restarted it but it did not fix the issue either. So the main NSO folder does not seem to copy the NED packages to the Runtime-directory

It looks pretty impractical if we have to reinstall the NSO eachtime to add a new NED.

snovello
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can install the NED in the runtime directory under packages, or if you install it elsewhere (your case I believe) you need to create a symbolic from the runtime packages directory to where the NED was installed. I am just paraphrasing RichardD2. There is no need to restart NSO to add a new NED.

I should add, you are correct that NSO does not copy NEDs from the NSO install packages directory. This is a collection of NEDs used in some of the NSO examples, they are actually very old versions, so they would never be used in any real deployment. So not copying them is the correct approach.

Can you give me an example for a symbolic? I have tried the "ln -s" but that doesnt seem to work as well

RichardD2
Level 1
Level 1

So lets say your neds are in /opt/ncs/ncs-5.x/packages/myned, go to /opt/ncs/ncs-run/packages:

ln -s /opt/ncs/ncs-5.x/packages/myned myned