cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NSO deployment with HA and DR considered

Johan Nemitz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am looking for recommendations on how to deploy NSO with the following requirements:

< 30k total devices

1-8 globally located clusters of devices (co-location facilities)

Deployment of NSO in one or more of the 1-8 locations

Single API point for deploying services across all devices/locations

Ability to still deploy/modify services even if 1 of the facilities used as a potential control point (NSO) goes offline.

What are the service designs supported by the recommended deployment.

I have not been able to find documentation to base my decisions.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

alam.bilal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there,

Checkout the LSA documentation that comes with the NSO installation (for example nso_lsa-4.5.pdf). Also check out "deployment_guide.pdf" that comes bundled with the tailf-hcc package (describes the NSO HA framework).

Thanks,

Bilal.

Thanks Bilal,

I have read both of those documents which covers how to deploy NSO and how to take advantage of LSA and the deployment model needed when using LSA.  What I think is missing is when to use the various deployment options.

Questions I need to answer are:

• When are there too many (NSO scale) or too geographically dispersed (timeouts from NSO to devices issue) devices for a single NSO installation (non-LSA) to no longer be effective?
  • If an LSA based deployment is necessary, how does one handle the situation when the location where the Service Layer NSO HA pair goes offline?
  • Would it ever be sensible to every split up an NSO HA pair between locations?
  • Should NSO clustering ever be used?  If so, when?

Thanks,

Johan

Hi,

All good questions. I know various folks have discussed these but don't think there is a guide as such. The information is available but dispersed. Perhaps we can request the Cisco-AS team to do a "guide" write-up, given that they have done majority of the real-life deployments. Also engineering have done some simulations too.

I've added my thoughts below.

When it comes to scale, the dimensions to consider are:

Memory as all configs are stored in the in-memory CDB

- The number of devices and the average size of the device configuration

- The number of service instances and the  average size of the service configuration

- Mark this up to account for metadata (back-pointers, etc). That should give the required memory.

CPU processing

The incoming rate of Move-Add-Change (MAC) requests

- The complexity of service mapping logic for each of the service-types

- Transactional approach or asycn commit-queues

- I've seen some testing done 3+ years back with NETSIMs and commit-queue. With CPUs back then the throughput was around 14 changes per seconds for a VPN like service

- The service types could be split across multiple NSOs (CFS-NODEs) to spread the incoming MACs.

I guess every scenario is so different and one sizing may not work for all. BTW, I've heard the rule-of-thumb of scale-out with LSA with 20k-30k devices per NSO-RFS-instance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: