Helpful
Replies

NSO device out of sync time

abhinavr5289
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the NSO device out of sync

After how much time, will NSO declare the device as out of sync?

do NSO check/compare config for the device before any new config did from NSO ? and then it decides if the device is in-sync or not?

is there any config in NSO to increase time?

do we need to perform sync-from to all devices after every login attempt to NSO?i

Regards,

Abhinav R

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KJ Rossavik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> After how much time, will NSO declare the device as out of sync?

NSO will only declare a device out of sync if it has attempted an operation (either a transaction or a check-sync) towards the device. So time is not a factor

> do NSO check/compare config for the device before any new config did from NSO ? and then it decides if the device is in-sync or not?

Yes, the first step in a transaction is to check if the device config is in sync with the config held in CDB 

> is there any config in NSO to increase time?

No, because time does not play any role in this

> do we need to perform sync-from to all devices after every login attempt to NSO?i

No, just carry out the transaction and if it fails because of out-of-sync, then you deal with it then as an exception. In the ideal case NSO is the only thing (system or person) changing the configuration of the device, so it is always in sync. However, reality is often more messy than the ideal. I have described some scenarios like this here: https://community.cisco.com/t5/nso-developer-hub-blogs/deploying-nso-in-brownfield-networks/ba-p/4129605

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

KJ Rossavik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NSO will check sync as part of the next transaction towards the device (unless you explicitly skip check sync)

Hi @KJ Rossavik ,

What is the criteria for NSO to declare any Device out of sync? how much changes difference or any time between device and NSO?

Thanks

Abhinav R

KJ Rossavik
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

> After how much time, will NSO declare the device as out of sync?

NSO will only declare a device out of sync if it has attempted an operation (either a transaction or a check-sync) towards the device. So time is not a factor

> do NSO check/compare config for the device before any new config did from NSO ? and then it decides if the device is in-sync or not?

Yes, the first step in a transaction is to check if the device config is in sync with the config held in CDB 

> is there any config in NSO to increase time?

No, because time does not play any role in this

> do we need to perform sync-from to all devices after every login attempt to NSO?i

No, just carry out the transaction and if it fails because of out-of-sync, then you deal with it then as an exception. In the ideal case NSO is the only thing (system or person) changing the configuration of the device, so it is always in sync. However, reality is often more messy than the ideal. I have described some scenarios like this here: https://community.cisco.com/t5/nso-developer-hub-blogs/deploying-nso-in-brownfield-networks/ba-p/4129605

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: