Views
Helpful
Replies

NSO + NED for non-production use

Denis Pointer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So a few of the sessions I attended this year a CLUS had some content on NSO, and a lot of the DevNet Workshops leveraged NSO Netsim for development environment.  with NSO being free for non-production use,  included in some the blue prints for the new DevNet certs I figured I'd give it a go but I got stuck and I am wondering if I am missing something obvious.

I downloaded NSO 5.1.0.1 from https://developer.cisco.com/docs/nso/#!getting-nso/downloads for Linux

From there I started working on the NSO Basics learning module listed on that same page

Started out fine, however when it comes to creating a device it says to use ned-id cisco-ios, but that is not an option for me: I see lsa-netconf, netcong, and smp

admin@ncs(config)# devices device R1 address 10.10.10.1 authgroup myauthgroup device-type cli ned-id ?
Description: The NED Identity
Possible completions:
  lsa-netconf  netconf  snmp

What I have not been able to figure out is where the ned-id's come from

looking through the PDF's in the docs folder, specifically the administration guide it appears you can specify you can specify a software repository to download the NED's from, specifically https://support.tail-f.com/delivery is listed, but that requires credentials.

Given this, I am drawing a conclusion that while NSO is free for non production use the NED's are not? Am I correct in this conclusion or am I missing something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gschudel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey

not clear how you installed NSO (local or system install), or what those "learn" things are... some people go to the ./doc/pdf dir and start with "Getting Started" .. 

It sounds like you might have a "local install" and i'm imagining that you then (also) created an "ncs-run" or similar dir...

I would guess that there are "no NEDs" in your ./packages directory... (it sounds like this is the case)..

If you look in the install directory, under "packages/neds" you will see nine different NEDs... you can copy these 

into your "running directory" ./packages and in nso "request packages reload"

you can see what's loaded with "show packages package oper-status" then... (all should be "up")

and you can create netsims etc. and get a feel for things.

hth

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

gschudel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey

not clear how you installed NSO (local or system install), or what those "learn" things are... some people go to the ./doc/pdf dir and start with "Getting Started" .. 

It sounds like you might have a "local install" and i'm imagining that you then (also) created an "ncs-run" or similar dir...

I would guess that there are "no NEDs" in your ./packages directory... (it sounds like this is the case)..

If you look in the install directory, under "packages/neds" you will see nine different NEDs... you can copy these 

into your "running directory" ./packages and in nso "request packages reload"

you can see what's loaded with "show packages package oper-status" then... (all should be "up")

and you can create netsims etc. and get a feel for things.

hth

Hello,

Primarily I was working with the Local Install, I did try the system install in a VM though appeared to get the same results.  I did look through documents docs folder and the getting started guide, but still felt I was missing something

There are 9 NEDs in the install directory <NCS Install dir>/packages/neds

a10-acos-cli-3.0 cisco-ios-cli-3.0 cisco-iosxr-cli-3.0 cisco-nx-cli-3.0 juniper-junos-nc-3.0
alu-sr-cli-3.4 cisco-ios-cli-3.8 cisco-iosxr-cli-3.5 dell-ftos-cli-3.0

I did look at those, however, the readme's on those specifically say "This NED is used for running the NSO examples and should not be used!" am I just taking that too literally then? is that the NED I should be using?  If that's the case then that's easy enough then, I can continue on from here.  Is there a way to rename the packages (i.e. cisco-ios instead of cisco-ios-cli-3.8) so it matches the guides?

Should note I did copy the cisco-ios-cli-3.8  and iosxr over and that did work, I see those as options now, and netsim worked as well...

admin@ncs(config)# devices device R1 address 10.10.10.1 authgroup myauthgroup device-type cli ned-id ?
Description: The NED Identity
Possible completions:
  cisco-ios-cli-3.8  cisco-iosxr-cli-3.5  lsa-netconf  netconf  snmp

what is meant by "...should not be used"... is that the NEDs provided w/ the NSO distribution are "not new..." they are "old-ish"... they are only there (included) to support running the "examples" in the ./examples directory and any basic messing around you might do. Those NEDs are real and functional - they just won't have any updates that have been integrated along the way. So.. "play away" on examples and (maybe) in the lab... but don't put them in production.

** in a local install, NEDs (and models) go in ./packages

** in a system install, NEDs (and models) go  in /var/opt/ncs/pacakges

That makes sense, they are fine for non-production, lab/development use but not suitable for production use. 

Thank you for your help :)

Also, these NEDs are fine for exploring the examples that come with NSO, and with netsim, but they won't work against real devices.

andrewyager
Level 1
Level 1

I had this exact problem too.

It looked like NCS had started properly as I could use the CLI and do some things but upon checking the logs there were Java VM issues.

Turned out I had forgotten to install Java.

This was on Ubuntu 18 and fixed by installing headless version of Java:

sudo apt-get install default-jdk
sudo apt-get install ant

Similar to here: http://blog.jonascollen.se/scripts/installing-nso/