Views
Helpful
Replies

NSO PnP Package - Deleting PnP config deletes created device

lemunds
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,

I'm evaluating the PnP mechanism in NSO and I'm a bit confused how to handle the devices once they are created in the device list.

When I delete the PnP config (pnp map <serial>), the device that was created from this is gone as well. Is this intentional? I would like to be able to delete the PnP configs after a successful rollout, else they would accumulate over time and become unmanageable. 

I have also tried deploying a service to the device in question and deleting the PnP config afterwards, but due to the device entry itsself not having a refcounter, it is still deleted, and the deployed config from the service as well. I would have expected the device to stay in the list as long as part of it has a reference to a service.

Am I doing something wrong or misunderstanding something?

Thank you in advance for any helpful hints.

Regards

1 REPLY 1

sunge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@lemunds wrote:

When I delete the PnP config (pnp map <serial>), the device that was created from this is gone as well. Is this intentional?

Yes, it is intentional.

The PNP-server 'owns' the device onboarding, so deleting the pnp map would
also remove it from the device tree and, optionally, reset the device
to its 'before-day0-config', day - -1 (day minus 1).

@lemunds wrote:
I would like to be able to delete the PnP configs after a successful rollout, else they would accumulate over time and become unmanageable.

Not sure I understand the use case,

what is it that would accumulate over time exactly?

The PNP server should only send
out DAY-0 config once, and optionally add the device to the device tree.

Then its up to NSO to handle the device config in any way it wants. A service

can modify/delete whatever is in the DAY0 config, and of course configure other

Day N-stuff.

So, in short, the PNP server acts as per design, you are not meant to delete the

pnp device from the pnp map once it has been added to the device tree.

Sincerely,

Simon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: