cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

zero touch provisioning

Cindy Lu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How does NSO do zero touch provisioning? Does it cover all Cisco products, for example, NCS5500? Does it do the zero touch provisioning during day 0, the deployment (day 1) and day 2 support phases?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

alam.bilal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think the reference here is to Plug-and-Play (PnP). Some of the Cisco network-elements have a PnP agent embedded as part of their Operating System.

Also, there is a PnP package available for NSO that runs the PnP Server within the NSO environment.

When a device (with a PnP-Agent) is powered-on, through some means (for example DHCP) it finds out the address of the PnP Server. It then "calls-back-home". The PnP server in NSO receives this request and pushes day0 to the device (based on presets correlated via the device's serial-number). The device is added to NSO's device-list (/devices/device) and a corresponding NED is associated with the device.

There is also an option as part of the PnP package in NSO to setup and then automatically push day1/day2 service related configs when the device appears on the radar and day0 has been completed.

Once the device has been added to the device list, it could be used to activate network services (or perform service CRUD operations)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

alam.bilal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think the reference here is to Plug-and-Play (PnP). Some of the Cisco network-elements have a PnP agent embedded as part of their Operating System.

Also, there is a PnP package available for NSO that runs the PnP Server within the NSO environment.

When a device (with a PnP-Agent) is powered-on, through some means (for example DHCP) it finds out the address of the PnP Server. It then "calls-back-home". The PnP server in NSO receives this request and pushes day0 to the device (based on presets correlated via the device's serial-number). The device is added to NSO's device-list (/devices/device) and a corresponding NED is associated with the device.

There is also an option as part of the PnP package in NSO to setup and then automatically push day1/day2 service related configs when the device appears on the radar and day0 has been completed.

Once the device has been added to the device list, it could be used to activate network services (or perform service CRUD operations)

The Open Plug-n-Play (PnP) agent software is currently available on all Cisco IOS and IOS XE platforms, and is enabled by default.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/pnp/configuration/15-e/pnp-15-e-book.html#concept_5757371B2C414F2EAE104EFE5073ACCB

Since the NCS5500 runs IOS XR, I don't think it works with NSO Plug-and-Play. My understanding is that NSO Plug-and-Play was designed for a CPE scenario.

What's the call flow for NSO Plug-n-Play work for CPE?