cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.
Get the latest news in this issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Launch ASDM to admin my ASA 5505 Java Error

When I launch ASDM I get this java error. invalidalgorithmparameterexception: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty. The thing that precipitated this entire issue has to do with email. The ASA 5505 suddenlty decided to block my email server. I'm trying to get into admin to see if I can figure out why. Don't have a lot of experience with this but really need to learn.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Beginner

Re: Launch ASDM to admin my ASA 5505 Java Error

Should have also mentioned I'm on a 2018 Mac MIni running Mojave 10.14.6. Installed JRE legacy 6.

Highlighted
VIP Advisor

Can you post what is the ASA code running on ASA and ASDM Version?

based on ASDM Version you need the correct version of JRE to work.

example thread :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/firewalls/running-asdm-under-macosx-yosemite/td-p/2608914

BB
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Highlighted
Beginner

I did not use JRE based on everything I read. Instead I installed legacy JDK 1.6.0 per directions I had seen elsewhere.

ASDM version v1.5 (55)

How would I find out what the ASA code is on the ASA 5505?
VIP Advisor

here is the command to view :

show version

Displays the software version, hardware configuration, license key, and related uptime data.

also, post below output from command line

#dir 

so we can see what ASDM you have uploaded.

here is the ASDM Compatability matrix

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/compatibility/asamatrx.html

BB
Highlighted
Beginner

I can’t get into the router, that’s my entire problem. I can’t tell you what version of software the ASA is running because I can’t get into it. I was trying to use the ASDM to access it but it keeps giving me errors.

I think the software version on the ASA is old and that’s why ASDM isn’t working.

But maybe I’m entirely wrong. Is ASDM the software that allows my computer to communicate with the ASA5505 Router? That was my assumption.

I decided to try accessing from the older Mac OS that is connected using an older version of ASDM and I got a little farther but now just a spinning wheel of death.

Is there any other way to get into the router via the ip? Once I’m in there, I think I can update the software to the latest version that works with the ASA 5505 and then get the ASDM version to match.

I'm fairly certain that the ASA software is old so the ASDM version I'm using isn't working. Unfortunately, the old OS is too old and the new OS (Mojave) is too new. Meaning the ASDM version that works with Mountain Lion is too old for the ASA software but the new version of ASDM that works with Mojave is too new for the ASA software.
Highlighted
VIP Advisor

ASA5505 - Is a Firewall (Not an Router) - you can console and post the config along with information i have requested before

below thread provide, how to connect MAC to ASA using console port

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/how-to-use-a-mac-for-connecting-through-the-console-port/td-p/2392883

show version

dir

Note : if you are not familiar with MAC and Console, suggest to lend window PC and get sort, then try to connect using MAC later.

BB
CreatePlease to create content
Small Business community Righttrail
Cisco Partner Design Support

Cisco Small Business Partner Design Support offers access to a team of engineers focused on Cisco Small Business products best practices to our partners.  For more information and to access the Partner Design Online Chat, click here. (partner login required)