cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Announcement“Cisco Design Thinking Workshop”. Cisco Small Business is excited to invite its Silicon Valley customers to an exclusive interactive one-day session between customers and product Managers.  If you are interested in this exclusive workshop, please fill out the Registration Form. For more information, please check out our FAQ

Get the latest new and information the November issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Best Practice Configuration - OnPlus LAN port to switch

Everyone - I'm setting up my first OnPlus customer and could use some technical assistance.

I'm looking for a best practice doc on Catalyst switch configuration.  I'll lay out several tech questions I have that are unclear in the docs I've read through so far.  In a typical customer network, I have a Cisco 18xx/28xx router connected to Catalyst switches.  Multiple Vlans using dot1q.  Native vlan1 for network devices, vlans 10,20, etc.  for data, voice, etc.  I connected OnPlus to a switchport configured for data vlan 10 and it discovers all pc's on that vlan.  However, it does NOT discover infrustructure devices on vlan1 or voice devices on vlan 20.

Questions:

1.  What is required to get device discovery to work across routed vlans?

2.  Should I configure the switchport as a trunk port with dot1q encapsulation?  How is this configured on the OnPlus?

3.  With ZBF configured on the router, what ports are required to be open for discovery between vlans?

Cheers.

2 REPLIES 2
Beginner

Hey Todd,

The ON100 uses a combination of protocols and data gathered from  these devices to build out the topology.  There is a good starter  document on best practices and some of the details around discovery at  the link below:

Discovery Best Practices: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17579

Additionally, OnPlus works across VLANs and networks with supported Cisco platforms. The 18xx ISR platform isn't supported yet, but you can use the generic SNMP router driver  to help with some of the discovery.  There's a few Catalyst 2k/3k platforms that are supported along with the 28xx ISR, and you can use one our  defined drivers to aid discovery in these cases. Remember to input the corresponding credentials as needed when you choose defined drivers.  Listed platforms and their offered capabilities can be viewed at the link below:

Supported Devices:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17501

As per your questions...

1.  What is required to get device discovery to work across routed vlans?

See above documents...

2.  Should I configure the switchport as a trunk port with dot1q encapsulation?  How is this configured on the OnPlus?

The switch port needs to be an access port.  The ON100 Network Agent does not support trunking.

3.  With ZBF configured on the router, what ports are required to be open for discovery between vlans?

Only egress ports from the ON100 will need to be opened.  Please take a look at questions 4/5 under activation/isntallation in the technical FAQ for ports used on the ON100.

Technical FAQ:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-21020#activation_installation

Make sure CDP is turned on as well... 

Hope this helps, please feel free to ping me if you need any other assistance! 

Beginner

Thanks Jimmy - very helpful.  I am getting error using the Cisco 3750 driver.  I have a 3750 stack, would that cause some issue?