cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Get the latest new and information the November issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Configuration Backup

We manage three ON-100s.  One of the units reports a notification event daily as to whether the configuration has been backed-up (or not if there are not changes).

The other two do not report any of these events.

Other than the "maintenance window" (which is set), I cannot find the location where this is controlled/activated.

What can be done?

TIA

Everyone's tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Enthusiast

Configuration Backup

Hi Curt,

Under "Notifications>Delivery Rules" do you have these sites selected for the notificaitons? Could you verify the other sites have backups that are completing?

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Highlighted
Beginner

Configuration Backup

aqkazi:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

1. In "Notifications->Delivery Rules" notifications have been set for "Warnings" (and above), which are e-mailed.

2. The backup events are notification level and do not get e-mailed.  These events appear in the "Event" listing for one of the sites when requested via OnPlus dashboard.  The other two do not list backups in this area of their dashboards.

3. I'm not sure how to discover whether the other two are backing up other than to look in the Event listing under notifications.  Is there a syslog function that I can look at or send to a syslog server?

Thanks,

Curt

Cisco Employee

Configuration Backup

Hi Curt,

Addressing your item 3 above.. if the Cisco device that you are looking for automatic configuration backups from is supported by ON100, you can tell if backups are happening by drilling into the device within the OnPlus portal, and go to the device's 'Backups' tab. If no backups exist, and the device is listed in the ON100 supported device matrix, make sure that you've supplied credentials for that device in the 'Credentials' tab.

-mike

Beginner

Configuration Backup

Michael:

Ahhh ... the fog has now cleared.

The notices did not identify the device being backed-up, except by Mac address.  I assumed the notice referred to the ON100 itself, but it was a Cisco switch ...  maybe I'm in the minority in that I don't memorize mac addresses :-)

Thank you for the follow-up.

Beginner

Configuration Backup

Michael:

I'm wondering whether we can take this a step farther.  It would be nice to automatically backup the configs of ASAs attached.  Docs say:

"The ASA 5500 device manager can not be run over a tunnel created by the Cisco OnPlus Agent device. Remote ASA management can be performed if SSH access is enabled and a generic tunnel connection for SSH is created by the Cisco OnPlus Agent for command line administration."

An SSH connection needs manual intervention on my part with an SSH client.

So, what would be the way to "automatically" have OnPlus perform such backups (if possible)?

Thanks,

Curt

Cisco Employee

Configuration Backup

Looking at the OnPlus ON100 Supported Devices list at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17501 , the ASA5505, ASA5510, and ASA5520 are all supported by ON100 for performing automatic config backups. It should just be a matter of providing the correct credentials for the ASA device from within 'Credentials' tab of the device. No tunnels are necessary for the ON100 to perform backups from supported equipment present on the local network of the ON100. Tunnels are a feature available to you to gain access to equipment remotely, the ON100 doesn't use them itself and must already be present on the local network of the equipment it is discovering. I believe a basic requirement of the backup/restore features of OnPlus are that the device must be 'discovered' by ON100, manually added devices (which might even exist off-network) are not currently supported by the device config backup and restore features of OnPlus.

Drilling further into the ASA5500 specific note at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17448 I don't see direct mention of any special configuration needed on the ASA device to support configuration backups being performed by an ON100. I believe SSH and possibly telnet are supported (these happen directly been the ON100 and the supported device), so one of those needs to be running on the ASA. There may exist special circumstances, such as having TACACS+ authentication enabled on the Cisco device, that might interfere with the backup process.

Appendix B of the OnPlus Portal User Guide, Release 7.6 available at http://www.cisco.com/go/onplus-docs looks to be where this information came from.

-mike