cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.

Views
Helpful
Replies
SHAWN EFTINK
Contributor

Device Monitor - IP Change

How does the Device Monitor - IP Change actually work?  The description in the documentation states:

"Monitors the IP Address of this host to detect changes.  A Critical even is generated whenever the IP Address changes on this host."

What's confusing to me is that, in my experience thus far, if a device's IP Address changes, OnPlus shows the device with the old IP as a missing device and that same device with the new IP as a new device.  Based on that, I don't understand how, or if, this would even work?

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
1 REPLY 1
Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee

Hi Shawn,

OnPlus should (well, at least as implemented) only display as separate devices if the MAC address is different. Your experience is likely from devices with multiple MAC addresses that starts being discovered at a different MAC address. The IP Change monitor will follow a device as long as it is still being discovered at the same MAC address, and will event if the associated IP address ever changes, but won't event if the previous MAC address just goes missing off the network.

-mike

This widget could not be displayed.