cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.

Views
Helpful
Replies
jamesschmelz09
Beginner

Discovery

Hello all,

I have recently installed the Cisco OnPlus 100 in our company and it has only discovered devices at the site installed. Our topology consists of 3 facilities and each facility can talk to the other. It was my understanding the Cisco OnPlus would automaically learn these devices at all facilities. What settings or configurations need to be made to allow the discovery process to gather information from sites past our site router? Do we need multiple Cisco OnPlus devices to monitor all locations of our company?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

A single ON100 won't do automatic discovery for devices outside of the LAN/VLANs/subnet that it's placed on. You can manually add hosts at other locations (or even out across the internet) to be checked by the ON100, but in order to automatically discover devices on other routed sites/networks you would need to place an ON100 at each, or somehow make the broadcast domain of those networks available to the ON100 as a VLAN.

Manually added devices can be monitored by an ON100, but currently don't offer any backup/restore features of OnPlus.

-mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
aqkazi
Enthusiast

Hi James,

I assume some of the devices are in different VLANs. To have the On100 discover devices from other VLANs, the On100 must be connected to trunk port. Follow these steps to discover multi-VLANs:

To configure multi-VLAN discovery for the On100:

1. Connect the On100 to an IEEE 802.1q Trunked Interface or "Trunk Port"
  2. Configure this port as a native ‘untagged’ VLAN

On a Cisco switch, the configuration should look something like:

1. interface GigabitEthernet 1/2
  2. switchport trunk native vlan 200
  3. switchport mode trunk

To discover devices at other sites, it is recommended to have ON100 at those sites.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Thanks, I am going to look into moving this device to a different locations in our facility. This device is currently connected into a SMB Cisco switch that is managed only through webpage (no CLI). I will let you know if this change allows discovery of devices throught cisco routers.

James,

If you're wanting OnPlus to crawl the network over something like MPLS, Frame, ATM, VPN, etc., it won't do that.  You will have to put an OnPlus device at each site.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

A single ON100 won't do automatic discovery for devices outside of the LAN/VLANs/subnet that it's placed on. You can manually add hosts at other locations (or even out across the internet) to be checked by the ON100, but in order to automatically discover devices on other routed sites/networks you would need to place an ON100 at each, or somehow make the broadcast domain of those networks available to the ON100 as a VLAN.

Manually added devices can be monitored by an ON100, but currently don't offer any backup/restore features of OnPlus.

-mike

Thanks all, This is how I suspected the device would work and glad I was able to confirm the operation of the OnPlus device, before quoting it to customers. I had not read anywhere that it was limited to broadcast domains.

James,

It's not that it's limited to "Broadcast Domains" since it can discover and monitor based on things like CDP and the ARP table.  What it can't do is traverse Layer 3 without the assistance of something like trunking, which is one great way to discover multiple VLANs that the OnPlus can do.  But it won't find, for example, a border on the other side of a firewall or another site on the other side of a router.  As Michael mentioned, you can manually add anything and monitor it, but you lose a lot of functionality that way.

At first my preference was to have a central device, as that's how we've always done network device monitoring, but after looking at the relatively low cost per OnPlus appliance, some of the other benefits that I can provide my clients via some basic reporting and network diagrams, and the ease of deployment and use, OnPlus seems to be very complimentary to my server/desktop monitoring we do via Kaseya and is integrating nicely with our PSA ConnectWise.  Probably one of the greatest benefits that comes from have devices at each site is only getting 1 alert when a site goes down instead of "Lost Connectivity" to a  list of devices.  That helps to more quickly identify where the root issue is.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
Create
Recognize Your Peers
Polls
How would you describe your level of technical expertise?