cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Please be advised, the GuideMe Wizard is no longer available on the Small Business Support Community. For search capability please use the community search field to find content related to Cisco Small Business documents, videos, and discussions.
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

NTOP and SPAN

I loaded NTOP on one of our customer accounts ... it loaded fine.

I had already connected the ON100 monitor port and was getting ready to configure the switch (Cisco 2960) for SPAN but noticed that NTOP was already reporting statistics ... it appears to be on the entire VLAN.

Question: Does the ON100/NTOP automatically trigger the SPAN destination port on the switch ... possibly because they are both Cisco products?

TIA

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Enthusiast

Re: NTOP and SPAN

Hi Curt,

The ON100 does not trigger the destination port as a SPAN. NTOP will begin to analyze the data that is being provided, which may not be representative of the entire network. It could have been a trunk port.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Beginner

NTOP and SPAN

I'm hoping what you are seeing is traffic outbound from the ON100.  If you go to IP/Traffic Directions you should see no received traffic for the paths with data.  Some of the active discovery protocols we use haven't been convinced to bind only to the eth0 interface.

We have an plan at some stage to annouce as a switch on CDP, which should automatically wake up trunking when the upstream supports SmartPorts.  That would simplify the multi-VLAN setup.  I don't think there is an option to request SPAN - that would be a security concern.

Andy

Highlighted
Beginner

NTOP and SPAN

Thanks for the replies.  I configured SPAN and the reported results make more sense now.

One Problem: All relevant screens report data with the exception of: Summary->Network Load.  Is there a way to kick-start this?

(I have shutdown NTOP and also re-booted ON100)