cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.

Views
Helpful
Replies
lokibjensen
Beginner

OnPlus misreporting device status

Hi there,

I have an issue with a new site that went up.  I keep getting alerts saying that our SG300-10P switch has gone down yet it is up and running and powering 6 AP's.  I have ICMP monitors on all of these devices.  The other odd thing is that it has said that one of the AP's is also down yet I see it up and running.  I reset the topology hoping it would see the AP again but it doesn't even show up anymore.  I have access into our wireless LAN controller and see all AP's up and running, their MAC addresses, and I can ping each one.

On a sidenote I have never been able to put an ICMP monitor on my wireless LAN controller (a Ruckus ZoneDirector) at ANY site because it always misreports its up/down status.  I have since never used this feature on that device because of this.

If anybody could shed some light on this issue It'd be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!                  

26 REPLIES 26
SHAWN EFTINK
Contributor

Are your APs and WLC on the same IP Subnet and VLAN as the ON100?  If so, then it should be able to pick them up.  If not, make sure the port that the ON100 is plugged into is set as a Trunk port instead of and Access port (default).

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Positive.  Unlike most of the systems we do this is a flat network.  We just added wireless into their existing infrastructure and so we just put this switch into their system.

So the SG300-10P was added to support the wireless?  If so, is the ON100 connected to the SG300-10P or a different switch with a connection between the switches?  Either way, since you recently rediscovered the network, did you check to see if the credentials are in and working in OnPlus for the SG300-10P?

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

Hi Lokib,

In addition to sdeftink's steps, could you please send me a private message with the site name and IP of the AP that no longer shows in the topology?

Do you recall any changes you made to the network? How long has it been running before the AP went 'missing'?

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

Yes the 300 series switch was added for the wifi.  Our controller, the AP's, and the OnPlus agent are all connected to that switch.  I don't see how credentials are relevant for an ICMP host up/down status or how it would show the other AP's up but not this one.

@aqkazi....done!

Oh and @deftink@tanonline.com I don't mean any disrespect, I really appreciate the help.  I hope I didn't sound as if I don't.

None taken.  ;-)

You are correct that the credentials being in shouldn't affect its ability to see host up/down via ICMP.  I wasn't looking at tackling that issue yet.  I was more focused on the devices not showing up anymore after you reset the topology.  Even though OnPlus will leverage ICMP to help discover the network, by entering the credentials for the switch and ensuring OnPlus takes them and they work, OnPlus can use better protocols like CDP, etc. to discover the network.

To be candid, I've had mixed results with using the ICMP monitor for Host Up/Down in OnPlus.  One of the primary challenges I've run into was if there was the slightest hiccup in communication between the ON100 and the switch it was connected to, I'd get a list of ICMP failures followed by ICMP recoverys.  I stopped using ICMP Host Up/Down on everything except the discovered root device, which is added by default, and rather apply the ICMP Host Performance monitor and have had much better results.

Ha ha...it's funny you say that as that is my biggest gripe with OnPlus.  I cannot adjust the threshold for how long a device is down before you receive an alert.  This is worst on the WAN connectivity as I'm in South Florida and clients lose connection for a second at a time constantly.  I cannot even turn this monitor off as it's in their by default.  It drives me batty.  I know they are working hard to correct this though and hopefully sometime next year it will be implemented.

The credentials are in the switch and there are no reported issues there.

Couple of things.  The first is that you can turn off even a default monitor if you want by drilling into the device, going to the Monitors tab, and then sliding the green slide bar next to Test Monitor to switch the monitor from Enabled to Disabled.  As well, you can select the Monitor and hit the - button to remove it.

On the credentials, if you drill into the SG300-10P, and select Credentials, do you see a green check mark and a message that says "Credentials worked at last attempt" on the Login Access and Enable Access, assuming your device uses both credentials or do you see a different message?

@sdeftlink You cannot turn off the site up/down notifications or adjust their threshold.  Individual monitors you can disable, yes, but not the main site up/down status....unless something has changed.  For SNMP the credential status is green.  For some reason the switch itself says the credential status is not known.

You are correct on site up/down.  Sorry I misunderstood.  Check the drivers tab to correct the credentials issue.

The driver is automatically determined along with the correct image of the switch.  This device should be "plug and play" aside from entering the credentials, especially if SNMP is up and running.

So you did check the driver tab and there isn't a drop down menu there? If there is, you still need to select the driver to get the credentials to work.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

This widget could not be displayed.