cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.

Views
Helpful
Replies
curt-wwwww
Beginner

Removing (temp) ON100

I put an ON100 on our network to set a static IP prior to delivery to customer site.  This worked o.k. but now I can't remove it from our local topology.

I read in another thread that it might have to be disconnected to "enable" the delete option.  It is disconnected, but the option is still not available.

In retrospect, I suppose I should have disconnected our ON100 prior to doing this config, but that is water under the bridge.

What can be done to remove this device?

TIA

4 REPLIES 4
curt-wwwww
Beginner

Cancel this request ... I found a work-around:

• Requested connection to device via OnPlus
  • Connection failed because device is disconnected.
  • It was reported as "missing"
  • Delete action was enabled
  • Deleted device

Hi,

The delete option is not available for devices until they have gone missing.  That's because if an ON100 is still seeing network references to a device, the next update to the portal would just add it back in.  Trying to connect to the device would not cause it to go missing, that was likely just a coincidence.

Devices may linger in discovery for extended periods due to characteristics of the discovery protocols.  For example, it may take several hours for Bonjour to forget about a device.   We've also noticed several managed switches have long ARP expirations. When an ON100 is shutdown cleanly it will deregister from Bonjour, but of course we all tend to just turn them off and there is no actual shutdown option, you have to reboot it and turn it off at the right moment.

Andy

Andy:

You are right ... it "came back" after an interval.

So, since I don't know what the "right moment" might be, what might the options be to remove this device?

Thanks.

Hmm, well it really shouldn't be coming back.  We use the MAC address to identify the device, so the implication is that it is stuck somewhere in the more persistant discovery tables.  The entry should clear out eventually, but you could try rebooting the remaing ON100 to speed things up.  This will restart the Avahi bonjour listener, and also clear the internal ARP table.

Andy

Create
Recognize Your Peers
Polls
How would you describe your level of technical expertise?