cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.

Views
Helpful
Replies
SHAWN EFTINK
Contributor

What is the Maximum supported devices on a single appliance?

I have a client site that has discovered 157 devices across multiple VLANs after changing the switch port to a trunk port today.  It keeps bouncing around between 25-35 missing devices, most of which are phones located in a Voice VLAN.  I know the devices are on the network and accessible.  It almost looks like I'm hitting a tipping point on how quickly OnPlus can check the status on all those devices, get responses, and update before some type of timer expires.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.
8 REPLIES 8
aqkazi
Enthusiast

We haven't really found a limit for maximum devices, we have seen that that topology becomes difficult to render at some point, but the Device Listing works fine.

In your case it sounds like it could be a connectivity issue to the Voice VLAN specifically. Any firewalls or anything else that could be blocking discovery for the Voice VLAN?

While you look into that, I'll see if theres anything that could be stopping it.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

I sent you a private message regarding this with more specific details.

Shawn Eftink CCNA/CCDA Please rate all helpful posts and mark correct answers to assist others searching for solutions in the community.

I sent you an e-mail with next steps. Please let me know once you've completed those.

Thanks,

The OnPlus Team

I just sent you updated information and screenshots.

Currently we have one clients with 390 registered devices

- UC telephoney - 91 devices

- Mobile Phones - 28 devices

- Computers - 137 devices

- Infrastructure - 30 devices

- Other (printers) - 16 devices

- Unknown - make up the rest

Taken from the OnPlus categories

Austen,

Are you having any issues with large numbers of devices showing up as missing, then some being found, then missing again, etc. despite the fact that the devices never went offline?

I have noticed the problem with the topology mapping.  Is there any more definitive number on the maximum devices to obtain reliable mapping?  Can the topology mapping work through routing boundaries?

Anthony,

Needless to say, I don't know the answer on the max number of devices (hence the question).  However I can answer the question on the topology mapping and routing boundaries.  The ON100 won't traverse routing boundaries unless it can detect devices in another VLAN via CDP or the ON100 becomes VLAN aware by setting up the switchport it is plugged into as a Trunk port.  See this link for more information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/other_net_mgmt/onplus/application_notes/multivlan/onplus_on100_vlan_discovery_782079601.pdf

Even when it is VLAN aware, it will still only find devices rechable on VLANs directely serviced off the switching infrastructure that also hand out DHCP.  For example, if a switch is receiving VLAN information via trunking for a VLAN that is part of a DMZ on an ASA, it will not necessarily find the devices in that DMZ if it doesn't already have access to the switch servicing those DMZ VLANs through auto discovery.

For more information related to discovery protocols and where to best place the ON100 appliance see pages 22 and 49 of this document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/other_net_mgmt/onplus/portal/user_guide/onplus_portal_user_guide_7820144.pdf