cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10G link 4507/6-E to 3750 ?

kerry.bonin
Level 1
Level 1

I have an existing (almost full) 4507R-E with a 6-E supervisor running 12.2(44)SG.  I need to bring up 20-30 1G ports in a nearby (~15m) lab that will have a great deal of bandwidth between them (~800Mbps per port), and 2-6 Gbps traffic back to our 4507.  I was thinking about building this by starting a 3750 stack in the lab (one for now) to give me room to grow, and keep the traffic on that stack off our mostly full 4507.  I'm having difficulty determining if it is possible to install a 10G link between a 3750E/X and my 6-E, is it?  Alternatively, could I upgrade my supervisor to a 7-E and use a SFP+ uplink port for this link?  Are there other good ways to set this up?  Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As long as the two transceiver modules  (SFP, X2, GBIC, etc) are of the same speed (10G) and reach (SR) and the fiber type (62.5 micron MMF) and length (<26m) is within the transceiver specification (<26m for SR with this fiber type), then interconnecting them should not be a problem.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

4507R-E with a Sup7E has a backplane speed of 24Gbps (half-duplex). 

I understand the limitations of the 4507R-E, my challenge is in validating interconnection to a 3750 stack.

Would this work?

X2-10GB-SR module installed in Supervisor ( SC connector, IEEE 802.3ae) 

C3KX-NM-10G module installed in 3750

SFP-10G-SR module installed in C3KX-NM-10G (LC connector, IEEE 802.3ae)

FDDI grade MMF fiber, 62.5 micron core, SC to LC connectors, 850nm

I've been bit by attempting to connect modules that are not identical, and I haven't tried this specific pairing before...

As long as the two transceiver modules  (SFP, X2, GBIC, etc) are of the same speed (10G) and reach (SR) and the fiber type (62.5 micron MMF) and length (<26m) is within the transceiver specification (<26m for SR with this fiber type), then interconnecting them should not be a problem.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: