cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

15530 - End of Support

us10610
Level 4
Level 4

We have 2 15530 dwdm chassis connected between 2 data centers via dark fiber and their almost at end of support. Our implementation is very simple with only 2 desparate paths carrying 8GB of FC and Ethernet. I have an basic understanding of DWDM but would appreciate some expert advice.The natural replacement seems to be the 15454 but I've noticed that there are N7K dwdm modules and can't find any detailed literature. I wondered if 2 N7K could be a viable replacement for the existing 15530 to support both fiber channel and ethernet traffic without giving up the advanced protect features of the ONS equipment.

Thanks in advance,

4 Replies 4

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The following document shows the DWDM transceivers that are compatible with the N7K blades.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html#wp55411

From what I can see, the N7K would use the X2 DWDM transceiver module:

X2 DWDM Transceiver

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6576/data_sheet_c78_489725.html

Much of your decision will depend on the network and your availability requirements.

This is a start....

Tom

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

I wondered if 2 N7K could be a viable replacement for the existing 15530  to support both fiber channel and ethernet traffic without giving up  the advanced protect features of the ONS equipment.

If i have understood your question properly, Are you asking can you replace 15530 with Nexus 7K? If yes then how many pair of fiber you have between both location. If you have enough pair for FC and Ethernet than you can use N7K but if you have ONLY ONE PAIR of FIBER then you have to buy ONS. ONS have the capbility to take more than one FC and ethernet and then take it over JUST one pari of fiber. N7K have DWDM modules but they cannot replace ONS if you have ONLY one pair of fiber.

We have 2 pair of fiber for diverse paths. Our 15530 does the dense wave multiplexing of both FC and ethernet but also offers 'protect' paths. I understand it to be the ability to forward across both paths simultaneously but only one side accepts in each direction. Are you saying the DWDM modules for the N7K doesn't multiplex FC and ethernet and I would need to run FC over a different pair?

I had hoped that I would be able to connect both FC and ethernet to the chassis and multiplex the traffic via different lightwaves over the DWDM modules.

Are you saying the DWDM modules for the N7K doesn't multiplex FC and ethernet and I would need to run FC over a different pair?

Yes these modules dont mulitplex. Earlier Optical mudules when have to go over a DWDM box need a special card in DWDM box to connect these optical mudules in switch/router. But now these modules have the same spec (specially the wavelength ) like a DWDM module so they can directly connecetd to DWDM box without any intermediate card.

You cna check the price of a DWDM module in N7K will be much more than a module which you can just connect over fiber.

I had hoped that I would be able to connect both FC and ethernet to the  chassis and multiplex the traffic via different lightwaves over the DWDM  modules.

I am not aware of any such product but the way intergration is happening. I will not be surprised to see any such module in future.