Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4948E SFP-10G-SR

Hi i'm trying to install a SFP-10G-SR module into port 45 (or 46/47/48) of my Catalyst 4948E but i get a message saying

C4K TRANCEIVERMAN-3-INCOMPATIBLE: Port Gil/45: New transceiver (speed 0Mbps) is incompatible with this module.

The SFP manufacturer (FS.com) said -

"we noticed that transceivers you used in a gigabit port, so that's why causing an alarm. (The rate of the transceiver does not match the port rate).

So, could you please set the port rate of the  transceivers to 10000 (10G) first? And please install 10G  transceivers on the 10G port"

but i cannot find any info about how to set the port rate (only how to change from RJ45 to SFP)

Is it possible to set port 45-48 to 10Gb on a 4948E?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 4948E should recognize the transceiver capabilities automatically: 

"When switching from 1-GB SFPs to 10-GB SFP+ transceivers or from an SFP+ to an SFP, the chassis recognizes the change in speed and sets the port accordingly."

Source: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4900/4948E/installation/guide/4948E_ins/0Bxcvrs.html#wp1014290

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 4948E should recognize the transceiver capabilities automatically: 

"When switching from 1-GB SFPs to 10-GB SFP+ transceivers or from an SFP+ to an SFP, the chassis recognizes the change in speed and sets the port accordingly."

Source: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4900/4948E/installation/guide/4948E_ins/0Bxcvrs.html#wp1014290

I think i have found the issue - this is a 4948-E (SFP) not 4948E (SFP+)

what a difference a hyphen makes . :-)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: