cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

About the DWDM 15454 optical ring design questions.

sunhmtaaa
Level 1
Level 1

1 Question

We have 3 ONS 15454 in A,B,C each place. The connection between different locations is a pair of single mode fiber. The topology is A>B>C>A. The A is main datacenter.

We want to make a redundancy design based on ROADM. The normal transmission is A to B to C to A. For example, when the problem occurred between C and A, like CxA. We want to change the data transfer direction to C>B>A.

How could I do that through the 15454 configuration software CTC? Which protocol should I use? I am newbie in the optical network. Please give me an easy grasping answer. (Please don't change the topology because we not only have A,B,C we also have other 3 locations to join in the optical ring. I just want to use A B C to make the question easy to be answered)

2 Question

Untitled.jpg

The 15454-GE-XPE card mode made me a little confused. Our each location have 2 15216 MUX/DEMUX patch Panel Odd. One for MUX to next location. One for DEMUX from last location. Does that mean I don’t need to open the GE-XPE cards’  MXP mode?

The reason I want to use L2 mode is that we have 2 GE-XPE cards for each location for different department function.  The connection is 1st SFP port from GE-XPE to 6509 supervisor engine 2T active. 11th SFP port connects to 6509 supervisor 2T standby.   The 11th SFP will have no data until the

active supervisor 2T  changed to down. I am worried about  if I open the MXP mode for GE-XPE.  The 21th XPF gets data from 15216  DEMUX  panel  and transfers it to 6509 engine 2T  through  1st SFP. But 6509 can’t transfer the data back to 22th XPF through the 11th SFP on the GE-XPE. Because the 11th SFP connection is on standby engine 2T.

The question is what is the best way to make the right data flow direction from 15216 DEMUX through 6509 and back to 15216 MUX panel. 

Thank you for the reading and help!

I will do my best to reply every feedback.:)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

about Question-1

there are two ways to achieve your requirements.

use PSM card or second way is to use WSON.

PSM card is easy to install and it will cost less.

for WSON solution, your wavelength will switch automatically on fiber cut, but for this you have to make two nodes omni-directional that is source and drop nodes for that wavelength which seeks proteciton.

to make omnidirectional you need extra piece of hardware.

if your node has SMR2 cards, than you need one more SMR2 to make it omni-directional.

if its WXC than you need one more WXC, plus PRE and BST amplifiers.

so i think, just go for PSM cards :-)

about Question-2

The main question is if I open the 10GE MXP mode on the 15454-GE-XPE card, the port 1~10 can’t do any communication with port 11~20 unless I connect them with a SFP switch, is it right?

yes this is correct.

Another problem is I confused about the muxponder mode GE-XPE and the 15216 MUX/DEMUX Patch Panel. Are they doing the same job MUX/DEMUX?

no there is difference.

there are three modes on GE_XPE card.

10GE MXP mode:

if you select this mode.

than it will multiplex all the traffic coming on port 1 to port 10 and trasnmit it through port 21-1.

and traffic received on ports 11 to ports 20 is multiplexed and transmit it through port 22-1.

in other words, all traffic coming on port-1 to port-10 is encapsulated over a OTN/SONET/SDH and transmitted via port 21. same for port 11 to port 20.

20GE MXP mode:

all the traffic recevied over por-1 to port-20 is multiplexed and transmitted through port 21, in this port port 22 is not used.

Layer-2 mode.

you have to proviion QinQ and SVLANS to pass traffic.

15216 MUX/DMUX are entirely different, they are used to multiplex and de-multiplex wavelength.

so if we have 5 GE_XPE cards on each node A and node B.

and you want to connected each card with each other, suppose port 21 of each card on each node is connected with each other.

than you need 10 fibers to connect them, one for each Tx----------Rx.

so instead of doing this, people use MUX/DMUX, in your case it is 15216 MUX/DMUX

so trunk port 21 of each 5 cards will be connected with these MUX/DMUX and than the signal is transposrted is this way.

please go through this picture.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

supoonia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For Question:1

you want to switch traffic to C>B>A whenever there is a problem between C>A.

the simple way to do this is to use PSM cards.

PSM cards will provide you the same wavelegnth coming out from Transponder/Muxponder in two directions, you don't need a ROADM to achieve this, just have to passthorugh that wavelength at side-B.

read about PSM cards,

here is the link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r9_2/dwdm/reference/guide/454d92_optproswcard.html

let me know if there are any doubts or looking for something else :-)

For Question:2

didn't understood much, maybe we can WebEx sometimes to disucss this, let me know.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

About Question 1:

You have given me some ideas of how to solve this. That’s good. Another problem is our customer has already bought the 15454 ROADM equipment in location A.  I think they still want to use it into location B, C. Do you have some ideas of this part?

About Question 2:

The main question is if I open the 10GE MXP mode on the 15454-GE-XPE card, the port 1~10 can’t do any communication with port 11~20 unless I connect them with a SFP switch, is it right? Another problem is I confused about the muxponder mode GE-XPE and the 15216 MUX/DEMUX Patch Panel. Are they doing the same job MUX/DEMUX? 

about Question-1

there are two ways to achieve your requirements.

use PSM card or second way is to use WSON.

PSM card is easy to install and it will cost less.

for WSON solution, your wavelength will switch automatically on fiber cut, but for this you have to make two nodes omni-directional that is source and drop nodes for that wavelength which seeks proteciton.

to make omnidirectional you need extra piece of hardware.

if your node has SMR2 cards, than you need one more SMR2 to make it omni-directional.

if its WXC than you need one more WXC, plus PRE and BST amplifiers.

so i think, just go for PSM cards :-)

about Question-2

The main question is if I open the 10GE MXP mode on the 15454-GE-XPE card, the port 1~10 can’t do any communication with port 11~20 unless I connect them with a SFP switch, is it right?

yes this is correct.

Another problem is I confused about the muxponder mode GE-XPE and the 15216 MUX/DEMUX Patch Panel. Are they doing the same job MUX/DEMUX?

no there is difference.

there are three modes on GE_XPE card.

10GE MXP mode:

if you select this mode.

than it will multiplex all the traffic coming on port 1 to port 10 and trasnmit it through port 21-1.

and traffic received on ports 11 to ports 20 is multiplexed and transmit it through port 22-1.

in other words, all traffic coming on port-1 to port-10 is encapsulated over a OTN/SONET/SDH and transmitted via port 21. same for port 11 to port 20.

20GE MXP mode:

all the traffic recevied over por-1 to port-20 is multiplexed and transmitted through port 21, in this port port 22 is not used.

Layer-2 mode.

you have to proviion QinQ and SVLANS to pass traffic.

15216 MUX/DMUX are entirely different, they are used to multiplex and de-multiplex wavelength.

so if we have 5 GE_XPE cards on each node A and node B.

and you want to connected each card with each other, suppose port 21 of each card on each node is connected with each other.

than you need 10 fibers to connect them, one for each Tx----------Rx.

so instead of doing this, people use MUX/DMUX, in your case it is 15216 MUX/DMUX

so trunk port 21 of each 5 cards will be connected with these MUX/DMUX and than the signal is transposrted is this way.

please go through this picture.

Hi Sunil:

I am sorry for the late reply. I was busy working on the GE-XPE card problem.

About Question 1:

I have done some research on the PSM. That 1 in 2 out function is very a nice solution.  But I still have some questions about the SMR2. Actually we will use two SMR1 in each location. I don't think SMR1 could do the 1 in 2 out job. I did some research but have no idea of how to use SMR1 to build the omni-directional ring.

About Question 2:

That picture pretty helped me a lot. I just want to make sure some points.

Must I have two 15216 in each location? ( One for TX MUX and the other One for RX DEMUX ?)Can one 15216 do the both MUX and DEMUX?

If I want to put the SMR1 into the topology should it be like this picture?

Thank you for the patient help.

Have a good day!

ctually we will use two SMR1 in each location. I don't think SMR1 could do the 1 in 2 out job. I did some research but have no idea of how to use SMR1 to build the omni-directional ring.

SMR1 can not be used to build OMNI directional.

Must I have two 15216 in each location? ( One for TX MUX and the other One for RX DEMUX ?)Can one 15216 do the both MUX and DEMUX?

one 15216 is enough, it does both MUX/DMUX function.

If I want to put the SMR1 into the topology should it be like this picture?

yes it is :-)

Hi Sunil

About the SMR1

Is its 2-degree functiion limited to build the Omni-directional?

Is there some way to make a redundency ring by using two SMR1 cards?

About the 15216

I just curiously want to ask about why the picture which you posted  showed four 15216 in the topology.

yes this is correct, to build omni-directional we need something like SMR2 (multiple degree),

SMR1 is just like add/drop and pass-through card.

redudency you have to define on your client side.

in DWDM you can provision two paths taking different routes.

switching in DWDM can be achieved via PSM or WSON.

those were not four 15216, those are like four TXP or MXP cards.

15216 will be one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: