Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

aggregate multiple OC-1 or OC-3

Dears,

Would like your assistance plz regarding below

How to aggregagate multiple OC-1 or OC-3 ?

In Juniper, this can be done using "aggregate sonet" similar to Etherchannel but for sonet interfaces

I wonder If this can be done at Cisco

Thing that came to my mind is to use ppp multilink however what I know it is used only for E1/T1 interfaces .. not sure If it can be done for OC-x interfaces

Any Ideas

Best Regards

Sherif Ismail

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What platform and OS are you inquiring about? I wasn't aware that any of Cisco's routing platforms offered OC-1 interfaces. They are in the SONET/SDH world but there circuit aggregation usually means entirely different things than what you seem to be asking about.

You are correct that MLPPP is only for T-1/E-1 interfaces. Reference.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This looks to be a form of Virtual Concatenation (VCAT), that is available on most of the 15454 data cards. 

Background from Juniper website:

" The JUNOS software enables link aggregation of SONET/SDH interfaces; this is similar to Ethernet link aggregation, but is not defined in a public standard. The JUNOS software balances traffic across the member links within an aggregated SONET/SDH bundle based on the Layer 3 information carried in the packet. This implementation uses the same load balancing algorithm used for per-packet load balancing.

Note:

SONET/SDH aggregation is proprietary to the JUNOS software and might not work with other software."

Thanks Marvin/Tom for your reply .. it was really helpful

So this can not be done on cisco routers as 7600, ASR9000 or CRS , correct ?

Many Thanks

You're welcome, Sherif.

Correct - the router platforms you mention do not offer OC-1 interfaces and thus they don't allow one to aggregate OC-1 signals. They each offer OC-3 interfaces but one cannot aggregate them together (AFAIK).

As Tom correctly mentioned, VCAT is commonly available and used on the CISCO ONS 15454 SONET/SDH platforms.

Thanks

Hello Marvin

I found below link accidentally  ... it seems that IOS XR do offer link bundling but for OC-3/OC-12 ; i.e not OC-1 as you mentioned

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/xr12000/software/xr12k_r4.1/interfaces/configuration/guide/hc41lbun.pdf

But dont know If we can load-balance packets on these links based on mpls labels ??

Best Regards

Sherif Ismail

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: