Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can GCL-SX-MM Module supports on single mode fiber

I am planning to lay single mode fiber, but further distence is not very much it is about 100 - 250 mtrs., so please anybody can tell me this cisco glx-sx(short distence)-mm(multimode) module can support on single mode fiber or not?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NO.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Expanding on Leo's correct answer, fundamentally single mode and multimode fiber use different types of light sources to transmit the signal.

Single mode fiber requires a coherent light source - i.e., one that is transmitting a a single frequency. This is most commonly done using a laser as the source. So a -SM transceiver actually has a tiny laser built into it. That is a more precision device and accordingly has a higher cost.

Multimode fiber typically uses an LED-based source. LEDs do not provide light at a single frequency but rather multiple frequencies (known as ïncoherent or "multimode"). Typically in data communications the MM light is characterized as being grouped around a certain nominal wavelength (1300 nm the 100BaseFX used most commonly for Ethernet applications although variants use other nominal wavelengths).

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

Expanding on Leo's correct answer

I'm a man of few words. 

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are planning on installing singlemode fiber (SMF), you might install a composite cable, with a combination of SMF and multimode fibers (MMF) in the same cable jacket. Using some OM3 or OM4 MMF within the cable will allow you to support 10GE to your 250m link length using 10G-SR optics.  The single mode will allow you to support 40g and 100g in the future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: