Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco BiDir (WDM) SFP+ 10Gb exsist?

Hello!

I need to upgrade link between to Data Centers from 2x 1GGb to 2X 10Gb. I got only two dark fiber available. Now I’m using two pair GLC-BX-D(U) of SFP. I’m searching for Cisco BiDir (WDM) SFP+ 10Gb over one fiber but, have found only some ‘compatible’ solutions. I know some 'magic command' to run Cisco Catalyst with other vendor SFP+, but do not want to  stop life time warranty. May be someone know will cisco produce BiDir (WDM) SFP+ 10Gb or this product already exist and I miss something.

Regards!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just noticed that Cisco has a 1310nm/1550nm solution: Part Number WDM-1300-1550-S=.  It is outlined on the following page.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6575/product_data_sheet0900aecd8029d01b_ps708_Products_Data_Sheet.html

I have not seen anything announced by Cisco for the release of a 10G bi-directional SFP+.

How far apart are the data centers? 

You might consider using a pair of third-party WDM filters on each fiber.  The WDM filter creates two virtual fibers out of one fiber.  At one end of the link, you install a 1310nm SFP+ transceiver in your equipment and the other end you install a 1550nm SFP+ transceiver in your equipment. This is functionally similar to what is integrated into the 1G single fiber SFP solution. 

There are other solutions (DWDM), but the price tag increases significantly (but will scale in bandwidth in the future without adding fibers).

Just my 2 cents. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just noticed that Cisco has a 1310nm/1550nm solution: Part Number WDM-1300-1550-S=.  It is outlined on the following page.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6575/product_data_sheet0900aecd8029d01b_ps708_Products_Data_Sheet.html

I have not seen anything announced by Cisco for the release of a 10G bi-directional SFP+.

How far apart are the data centers? 

You might consider using a pair of third-party WDM filters on each fiber.  The WDM filter creates two virtual fibers out of one fiber.  At one end of the link, you install a 1310nm SFP+ transceiver in your equipment and the other end you install a 1550nm SFP+ transceiver in your equipment. This is functionally similar to what is integrated into the 1G single fiber SFP solution. 

There are other solutions (DWDM), but the price tag increases significantly (but will scale in bandwidth in the future without adding fibers).

Just my 2 cents.