Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SFP-10G-LRM Module vs OM3 / OM4 MMF upgrade

jhutter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My colleagues and I have been debating the pro and cons of 2 scenarios to upgrading our fiber infrastructure.  

We currently have 62.5/125 multi-mode fiber running between our switch closets running 1GB between.  We want to move to 10G.

What are the negatives to using Cisco SFP-10G-LRM modules over actually upgrading the MMF to OM3/OM4?  I fail to see the reason to spend the money to upgrade our fiber if LRM modules with mode cond patch cables will provide us with 10G connectivity on our existing fiber plant? 

Is there a "catch" that we are missing?

5 Replies 5

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If your fiber link is within the link length specifications of the 10G-LRM transceiver, there isn't a need to install new fiber. The system will operate with the same performance. 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm interested to hear if there are others who have have good/experiences as well.

Woodridge
Level 1
Level 1

I've done this with X2 transceivers. Older OM1 and FDDI fiber can have some link flapping errors even with the mode conditioning cables. This is especially true when you go over 175m. You can use LX4 modules which may give you less errors. Redundant links may be necessary. 

Thanks for the reply.  I am working with 2960X models switches so X2 modules are not an option for us.

fiberstorejames
Level 1
Level 1

You say your network currently is using 62.5/125 multimode fiber for 1GbE, then to save money, deploying Cisco SFP+ 10GBASE-LRM transceiver over the existing fiber is adequate, provided that you don't have any special requirement for linking length;

However, for future proofing, OM3/OM4 multimode fiber definitely have better performance than OM1, which will be more suitable for higher-bandwidth network.

That's only my opinion!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: