Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco to HP SFP not working

We have Cisco Catalyst 2960x device and we want to configure however whenever we connect the fiber to HP Switch is not working or the port is down. Cisco to cisco was able to work. only when we plugin to HP we have problem.

i checked with cisco they said the SFP is single and multimode compatible.

CISCO SFP: GLC-LH-SMD

HP SFP: J4858C

5 Replies 5

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

You current SFPs are not compatible.The HP sfp is sx. You need a Cisco sx sfp (GLC-SX-MM).

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Thank you @johnd2310?

so basically th Cisco SFP is not compatible?

but our vendor told me that as long as same multimode it should be working.

pauljohntinoco2014@gmail.com your vendor advised you incorrectly.

What @johnd2310 said is the correct advice.

When building an optical link it is not only the physical media that must match (singlemode vs. multimode); but also the way the signal is encoded. Transceivers cannot convert incompatible encoding.

Hi @Marvin Rhoads

Thank you for your advised.

noted i will follow up with the Cisco what model should i use..

Regards,

Paul, these guys are right. It is a simple fix. That GLC is also pretty cheap. CablesAndKits sells them for about $19, or you can find one cheap on eBay if you have time and want to roll the dice with quality (they are pretty indestructible so you'd prob be fine). Here is the CK one though:

https://www.cablesandkits.com/mc/transceiver-modules/cisco-glc-sx-mm/fam-65/compatibility=CiscoCompatible/displaycondition=NewSealed/

Make sure you have a multimode piece of fiber though because if you don't, that will be your next problem.

Craig Haynie - CEO

CablesAndKits

www.cablesandkits.com

Craig Haynie - CEO
CablesAndKits
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: