cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does X2-10GB-LR works at 4506E with Supervisor 6-E?

janffe719
Level 1
Level 1

HI Everyone.

After I insert the module  X2-10GB-LR in the Supervisor 6-E 10GE, and before I plug any cord in the module yet, it prompt error message like this:

*Jun 18 19:10:32.583: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/1: Rx power low alarm; Operating value: -33.0 dBm, Threshold value: -18.4 dBm.

• The IOS in use is:

Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(2)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

• The 'show inventory' command's results are listed as below:

NAME: "TenGigabitEthernet1/1", DESCR: "10Gbase-LR"

PID: SFCT-7095Z-CS1    , VID: 20 , SN: AGA1542X2XA

• The 'show interfaces transceiver ' results are listed as below:

If device is externally calibrated, only calibrated values are printed.

++ : high alarm, +  : high warning, -  : low warning, -- : low alarm.

NA or N/A: not applicable, Tx: transmit, Rx: receive.

mA: milliamperes, dBm: decibels (milliwatts).

Optical   Optical

Temperature  Voltage  Tx Power  Rx Power

Port       (Celsius)    (Volts)  (dBm)     (dBm)

---------  -----------  -------  --------  --------

Te1/1        40.5       0.00      -1.3     -40.0  

6 Replies 6

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

The issue appears to be with the weak signal from the other side, -33.0 dBm is pretty weak. How long is the span (must be <10km)? Are you definitely single mode all the way through? Is ther other side LR?

Thank you for your reply.

I am sure that the circuits in use are single mode.

The span between two side is 400m about.

The other side is SFP-10G-LR in 3750x.

I am also confused about why the voltage is zero,and the TX/RX power are not.

The output you are seeing is normal for an optical transceiver with no Rx signal and the port not being admin down. -33 dBm of Rx power translates to the "noise floor" of the receiver sensitivity and thus no input signal will result in that reading. The threshold violation reading simply tells you you aren't getting enough Rx signal to establish a link.

Thank you very much.

The other side is SFP-10G-LR in 3750x

After I connect the optical fiber between these module,the same reading still jump out.

But I issue 'show interfaces transceiver' command at 3750x,no matter the voltage or the TX/RX power are not zero.

So I am very frustrated about this question.

And I have try some methods to resolve the problem.

1. I have use the optical fiber to  connect two 1GB ethernet module(GLC-LH-SMD),and it works fine.The link are composed by there segment,that's 3m LC-SC,400m single mode optical fiber, 3m SC-LC.
  2. I connect the two 10GB ethernet module by SC-SC optical fiber directly, and the 4506E still show the same reading about low power alarm.

If they're not working even when connected back-back as you noted in your 1 July post #2 point, then there must be something local to the 4506.

Can you share the following output for the two 4506 interfaces (when they are directly connected to each other):

show run

show interface

show interface transceiver detail

On the older transceivers, I have sometimes seen the need to set the speed in the configurations, even though optical transceivers operate at a fixed speed.

Sorry for reply you late.

We didn't try the method you mentioned at last.

But  the client have changed to use the GLC-LH-SMD, So I don't have the chance to try it.

However, I am grateful for your help.

Best regards!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: