cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DOM with ASR 10 Gbps Interface

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am trying to figure out how to get optical power levels from an ASR 1006 with a XFP-10GLR-OC192SR transceiver in a SPA-1X10GE-L-V2 slot. I am running IOS-XE 3.5.2S (IOS Version 15.2(1)S2).

The command"show interface transceiver detail" is not supported. I cannot imagine this high end platform and transceiver can't report on optical power levels on its own.

19 Replies 19

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Very odd seeing the XFP you are using is listed as supporting DOM:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_8031.html#wp41142

Hopefully someone can help.

Indeed. I'm glad it's not just me. Thanks, Tom

I may need to open a TAC case to get to the bottom of this one. I just upgraded to the latest IOS-XE 3.6.1S and am seeeing the same thing:

#sh inv | i XFP

NAME: "SPA subslot 0/3", DESCR: "1-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Shared Port Adapter XFP based"

PID: XFP-10GLR-OC192SR   , VID: 01 , SN: xxxxxxxxxxx

#sh int transceiver

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I found the command! (Thanks to an assist from one of my providers.)

FYI:

WAN-A#show hw-module subslot 0/3 transceiver 0 status

The Transceiver in slot 0 subslot 3 port 0 is enabled.

Module temperature                        = 25.207 C

Transceiver Tx bias current               = 36506 uAmps

Transceiver Tx power                      = -1.8 dBm

Transceiver Rx optical power              = -5.7 dBm

WAN-A#sh inv | i XFP

NAME: "SPA subslot 0/3", DESCR: "1-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Shared Port Adapter XFP based"

PID: XFP-10GLR-OC192SR   , VID: 01 , SN: XXXXXXXXX    

WAN-A#

Reference here.

Thanks Marvin.  (+5)

Thank you, Leo. Hopefully this thread will save some other engineer hours of searching in vain.

I might alias this obscure command on the couple of ASRs I have been managing to "sh int trans" just to have one less command to remember.

Thank you Marvin. Even after 3 years this information helped someone !!

You're welcome Sharon. Thanks for letting me know!

Another thank you Marvin - within 24hrs :) 

We have to award Marvin with the prestigious honor of researching and providing the answer to his own question!! I cannot remember this occurring before (at least not in the optical community).  It is great when a member takes the time to share a success with the rest of the community... because it helps everyone!  

Thanks, Tom.

Cisco Support Community (or the old NetPro as I prefer) is truly rewarding for all. Learning something new almost every day is one of the reasons why I love engineering and am still in a very hands-on role (service delivery for a leading Cisco partner in the US) after 30+ years in the industry.

I just earned my "red star" this week; yet anything I can do to raise our collective knowledge level is its own reward.

Now if I can just get my pre-sales guys to consistently make sure they order DOM-capable transceivers to work with....

Google "asr 1002 interface transceiver" led me here.
Thanks Marvin. :)

You're welcome - I'm glad you found it helpful.

Sometimes I google a topic and find my own answer from several years back. ;)

Another +1 for you Marvin, almost 6 years old but still the best google search result.  Saved me much frustration, thanks!

@Michael Leman you're welcome. Thanks for rating!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: