Views
Helpful
Replies

Doubt about Redundancy of TSCE Cards - NCS2006

Slowlock
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,
I need to test the redundancy of the two TSCE Cards located on my NCS2006 shelf. We're doing this test for checking for how much time we will have service disruption in case of fault of the Active TSCE Card, until the Standby TSCE goes up and running (active state). This two TSCE Cards are located in slot 1 and slot 8 of the shelf and they are correctly in Active/Standby state. They are connected to the management Switch through the 1GbEthernet link.

Card on slot 1: Standby

Card on slot 8: Active

This is what we see when we have removed the TSCE Active card from the shelf:

With a client PC directly connected from the management switch, we start pinging (continuosly)at the management IP of the shelf. When we removed the TSCE Card from slot 8 (active) the Standby TSCE Card (slot 1) goes immediately in Active state,by the way, the ping stops for more or less 3-4 seconds, and then it comes back correctly. And here it is everything okay i think. When we plug back the unplagged TSCE card on slot 8, the ping stops again and then it comes back after 6-7 seconds. Now the TSCE card on slot 8 is in Standby State (as expected) but the ping response comes from the interface of the Standby card instead of the Active card!

My question is: It is a normal attitude or maybe we're having some type of problems here?

(sorry for the long post)

NB: The interfaces on the management switch are correctly in Switchport access mode, without any port security.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Slowlock
Level 1
Level 1

I solved the problem:

The problem resides in how we connected the cables to the two TSCE cards.

The ethernet cable on each TSCE card is commonly used for a local access to the shelf management. Instead, the EMS port is usually used for the remote management. So we just unplugged the ethernet cables from the two TSCE cards and connected only 1 ethernet cable on the EMS port on the top of the shelf.

Cisco best practice is: When you have two or more controller cards, use the EMS port in the ECU Panel.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Slowlock
Level 1
Level 1

I solved the problem:

The problem resides in how we connected the cables to the two TSCE cards.

The ethernet cable on each TSCE card is commonly used for a local access to the shelf management. Instead, the EMS port is usually used for the remote management. So we just unplugged the ethernet cables from the two TSCE cards and connected only 1 ethernet cable on the EMS port on the top of the shelf.

Cisco best practice is: When you have two or more controller cards, use the EMS port in the ECU Panel.