Helpful
Replies

Doubts About Monomode and Multimode - 10Gb

crusier2015
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I dont know about fiber, i have some basic doubts:

- With this model of gbic Cisco SFP-10G-SR, is it possible to interconnect two switches with 400 meters of distance?

-To be possible interconnect these two switches with 400 meters, only depends of the switch and gbic, or depends of fiber used?  Is necessary any type of repeater or transmissor?

"

Cisco SFP-10G-SR-S module (S-Class)

The Cisco 10GBASE-SR module supports a link length of 26 meters on standard Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI)-grade Multimode Fiber (MMF). Using 2000 MHz*km MMF (OM3), up to 300-meter link lengths are possible. Using 4700 MHz*km MMF (OM4), up to 400 meter link lengths are possible. SFP-10G-SR-S does not support FCoE.

"

================================================

- Using  SFP-10G-LR-S, i undertood that i can interconnect until 10km, but supose that i will interconnect two switches around 400 meters, i need a specific type of fiber and another equipaments, for example repeaters? Or depends only of gbic and swtich?

"The Cisco 10GBASE-LR module supports a link length of 10 kilometers on standard Single-Mode Fiber (SMF) (G.652). SFP-10G-LR-S does not support FCoE."

Tks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as the switch, as long as it is compatible with the transceiver, the transceiver's capabilities are supported completely.

10 Gbps fiber transceivers are known as SFP+ (small form factor plus). GBIC (Gigabit interface converter) was an older style transceiver.

SR type transceivers at 400m is pushing their limit and, as noted in the quote you mentioned, requires OM4 or better quality multimode fiber.

In neither case are repeaters required or supported.

LR type can indeed go up to 10 km and would require single mode fiber.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As far as the switch, as long as it is compatible with the transceiver, the transceiver's capabilities are supported completely.

10 Gbps fiber transceivers are known as SFP+ (small form factor plus). GBIC (Gigabit interface converter) was an older style transceiver.

SR type transceivers at 400m is pushing their limit and, as noted in the quote you mentioned, requires OM4 or better quality multimode fiber.

In neither case are repeaters required or supported.

LR type can indeed go up to 10 km and would require single mode fiber.

Tks!!

So I need the swtches and GBICs, and follow the fibers standards OM4  to operate over 400m with multimode for example.

For a switch with SR type SFP+ transceivers that's correct.

GBICs are restricted to 1 Gbps speed and have different operating characteristics as shown in their data sheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/gigabit-ethernet-gbic-sfp-modules/product_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

To get a 10G link, you need switches with 10G SFP+ ports and SFP+ transceiver modules accordingly. SR types are for short-range transmission, which operate on multimode fibers (OM3, OM4). While LR transceivers are for long-range links, often used with single-mode fiber to reach up to 10 km.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: