Views
Helpful
Replies

Facility High Rx Power on 10DME card

ittichai_a
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I found message "Facility high Rx Power" on 10DME card. So, I need to know what is the root cause and reason to get the message. Please give me the idea or comment.

Thanks

V

Note: Please see the picture from attach file

21 Replies 21

supoonia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

so high power alarm on port-9.

current optical power level is -7.6dBm, its ok.

now check for threshold, this alarm is because of threshold.

go to card view - provisioning - optics threshold - click on "Alarm" at the bottom - click on refresh -- check threhsold for high rx power.

and change it :-)

Hi Sunil

Thanks with your great support.

So, i will let doing as your recommend. So, I confuse that why the problem is threshold. Is it possible to other problem? or do you need more information from me?

Thanks

V

no it looks ok, -7dBm on 10DME trunk is fine, maybe some fiber rectification work was done that improved opticla levels or maybe some one changed thresholds.

but for now we can just change threshold to clear alarm.

in power failure high put threshold as -4 something.

Hi Sunil

Thanks with your answer so, i will check with customer again. And if i have any update or issue i will update you again.

Thanks

V

ok

Hi Sunil

I got picture from customer (I copy in attach file)

You said clear alarm in threshold so, how to clear that ? and from the picture have anything wrong ?

Thanks

V

ok so in Provisioning - Optics Threshold - Alarm

instead of -8 infornt of port-9, make it -5 or -4 and than apply.

go on alarm tab and synchronize.

Hi Sunil

Why it should be -5 or -4 to apply? Have we any standard value to apply? Normally, what is the value to get ?

So, anyway i will let customer to change it.

Thanks

V

Hi Sunil

So, I may need some information from you that what is the main reason on this issue? why we have to adjust threshold? well, is it impact to customer service when i have change threshold?

So, normally threshold value from real value i fear that if i have change it, i may impact with customer service. Anyway, please give me the idea.

Thanks

V

main issue is that we have high Rx power alarm i.e. -7dBm.

so to clear this alarm you can change the threshold.

there will be no impact on the services, it is just threshold.

by default for 10DME threshold for high-Rx is -8dBm

and for low-Rx is -24dBm.

these thresholds are just for the alarms, changing them will not going to affect the traffic, feel free to do it anytime.

we have -7dBm current optical power it is perfect, so to clear this current alarm we are changing threshold.

thanks,

sunil

Hi Sunil

Let's me explain you as my understand,

So, our optical line (RX)  is -7.6 dBm but the threshold (Rx High) is  -9 dBm. It mean the threshold is setting high then the real optical signal output that is the reason why it have the alarm. correct?

Then, if i understand correct, i must to set threshold lower than -7.6 dBm such as -4 or -5 as you said. correct?

Thanks

V

yeah you are correct :-)

Hi Sunil

Thanks with your support

The last question, what is Rx (high) -9 dBm come from?  I may answer customer that why it is -9 dBm ? i may need to know what is the -9 dBm come from

Thanks

V

it is -8dBm threshold set on 10DME.

it is by default.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/optical/ps5724/ps2006/ps5320/product_data_sheet0900aecd803fc51a.html

in the link given above search for "DWDM Receive Side Optical Performances"

so by default we have a threshold of -8dBm high-Rx power and -20dBm for low-Rx power.

so now question is that from where we start getting -7dBm on trunk port, this we can ignore for now, as -7dBm is fine will not cause any issues.

so to clear alarm you can either change threhsold and put a 3 or 4 dB attenuator pad on trunk port of this 10DME.

i don't know your design, but we can even change VOA on add-drop cards.

but as i said -7dBm is fine, so just change threshold for now.

let me know what we need to do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco