cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber between mux and terminated as ethernet

makramccie
Level 1
Level 1

i have a situation like 6500 g0/0--- gig(mux)FIBER------- FIBER(mux)Gig----G0/0 6500. only l2 traffic, i want the GigE interfaces to shut down if the fiber is cut & the GigE shuld and come up dynamically if the fiber is up again.

Is udld aggressive is the only option, shud dtp auto negotiation shuld be enabled..

Regards

Makesh

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

You can probably set up a GRE tunnel between the two devices, and track that.

If any portion of the span goes down, the GRE tunnel will drop (set whatever action you want to happen), and when it comes back up, it should generate another trap and you can do whatever other action you'd like to happen.

sanmigueelbeer
Level 1
Level 1

I'd prefer the UDLD option because it's easy to configure (1 line) and it's easy to diagnose. My 2 cents ...

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

i think in LAN switching and routing forum you can get better response for your problem.

@ Makesh,

I am also looking for same solution. Would like to share that i also tryed with UDLD feature but unfortunetly it is not helping. Because by default udld recovery time is 300 sec(5 minutes). After 5 minutes the same will again recover and then again go into error disable state which will create a flapping like of scenrio.

Its better not to go for UDLD, But still if you find any permanent solution for this problem. Kindly do inform me.

Regards

Jimmy