cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber from one switch to another

nate faulds
Level 1
Level 1

So i haven't done much with any of my cisco knowledge within the last few years(military). I am setting up two 24 port 3650v2's, one in my basement and one in the guest bed closet.

I am just setting up all this to refresh my memory and learn some up to date usage. I have purchased 4 cisco GLC-SX-MM mini modules to put into the 3560's, 2 in each device.

I also bought 1 LC to LC 50/125, OFNP (jumper?) cable to test with, i have yet to set everything up at home but before i start setting up and configuring, my question is do i have a proper base setup for one fiber connection between the two switches.

I have never done anything with fiber before so i am a little lost as to what cables i need to make this work, so in a nut shell i guess i am asking....do i have the right fiber cable to connect the two devices together?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nate,

It seems you have right modules to start with. here you'd find compatible part list as well.

OFNP (jumper?) - Did you mean the patch lead? otherwise you'd need right length LC-LC patch leads as well. there are few variations and if you need one specific type, you could have "Multimode 50/125 OM3 type fibre cable with LC/LC terminators"

I'd just start with one link first and test the connectivity,If its all good add the second link and aggregate them together

cheers,

Prabath

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi Nate,

It seems you have right modules to start with. here you'd find compatible part list as well.

OFNP (jumper?) - Did you mean the patch lead? otherwise you'd need right length LC-LC patch leads as well. there are few variations and if you need one specific type, you could have "Multimode 50/125 OM3 type fibre cable with LC/LC terminators"

I'd just start with one link first and test the connectivity,If its all good add the second link and aggregate them together

cheers,

Prabath

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath

Yes the modules are compatible, it is a jumper cable. the cable itself is 50/125 OM3 LC to LC.

When i get home id be able to connect the two devices with this cable and modules correct?

Yes - just plug it into an SFP in each switch.

Assuming the interfaces aren't shutdown or otherwise configured with incompatible parameters, you should get link and protocol up/up.

fiberstorejames
Level 1
Level 1

I have read your thread. According to Cisco catalyst-3560-series-switches data sheet, the Cisco 24 port 3650v2's switch can support 1000BASE-X SFP, thus the Cisco GLC-SX-MM can be used in this switch, but one thing can not be neglected is that you should purchase a LC duplex optical cable. Hope this will be helpful for you!

Good Luck